Skip to main content
Topic: Heater Core Change * Woot * (Read 1269 times) previous topic - next topic

Heater Core Change * Woot *

Yea... Well I had a over head a couple days ago :S  had all the hoses and temo changed.  And system flushed, was driving home from work and saw smoke coming for the radio * I thought it was from there and turned it off thinking I blew up a radio again for blasting it to loud * But I notice it was coming from all my vents and when u looked under the car the ler part in from of the cat was smoking :S.. and when u turned on the heat or AC it just got worse..  So I realized it was the heater core * Pissed because I had the dash out 2 weeks ago doing mods and shiznit * So I took out the whole dash in 1 - 3 hours  without taking out the seats or full consule.    Got to the stupid black box...  and took out every screw I saw :S But realized it wasn't coming out.  Since it was going in to the single digits I left and came here...

Notice on erics site u gotta disable the A/C lines aswell and theres a bracket holding the devil...

My only question is why did it happen after I Got the dash and everything back in and did all the work..

Answer?
Simple people told me U should of changed the Heart core * WTF is that? It makes your heat oo * Worries its gonna happen ~~~ BAM!! ~~ It does...
.: Lastest :.

Reply #1
murphy's LAWL! :hick:
:cougarsmily:5.0 HO, E303 cam, Exploder/Cobra intake, smog pump delete, Ford Taurus electric fan, MAF conversion, BBK headers, MAC 2.5" off-road exhaust w/x-pipe, AOD w/shift kit, 8.8 Trac-Loc rear w/disc brakes, 5-lug conversion w/'98 Mustang GT 17" wheels, Mach 1 springs:cougarsmily:

Reply #2
Quote from: jncocowboyx;185324
murphy's LAWL! :hick:

when i changed my dash i changed my $30. heater core

Reply #3
Quote from: Crusher;185316
My only question is why did it happen after I Got the dash and everything back in and did all the work..

[LIST=1]
  • But most likely it was this:

had all the hoses and temo changed. And system flushed

When you had the system flushed it probably loosened and/or stirred up any gunk that had acspoogeulated in and had sealed off any of the weak spots of the heater core that had been developing over the years.

Brent
:cougarsmily:
1985 Mercury Cougar XR-7 - 5-speed 
One of 1,246 built

Reply #4
Same here Innes, when i built my car and rewired it bumper to bumper, i did the same and changed my heater core. kinda glad i did , now looking back ......May all the angels of the blue oval god be with anyone that is thinking of doing their heater core next.    ALMEN....

Reply #5
There's also a bolt on the engine side of the firewall that holds the heater core housing in...

And..they're a bitch to take out...read somewhere that a factory-unequipped AC car can have the heater core box taken out w/o having to pull dash..but I don't know for sure....

I've done so many now on mine, it doesn't take me but an hour to yank it all..dash I mean.
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Reply #6
I think this heater core has been bad tho...  Because the smoke on the ler has been happening :S But that could of been the oil pan leak which was fixed along with the main seal...
.: Lastest :.

Reply #7
Simple answer,it's OLD.

Reply #8
I will be changing out mine next weekend.  It needs it.

Reply #9
My heater core's been dead for more than 2 years and I have no plans to change it anytime soon.

Garrett H.
'94 F250 XLT- 4x4, 5 speed, 7.3 IDI Turbo Diesel, 4" intake, 4" exhaust, 5" turnout stacks, manual hubs, etc.
'87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
Engine, wheels, tires, etc!
Exhaust sound clip
Another clip