Skip to main content
Topic: Where the hell are all the decent running, less than $1000 Fox cars at? (Read 3836 times) previous topic - next topic

Where the hell are all the decent running, less than $1000 Fox cars at?

I can't find any:mad: . I'm looking for a Cat or Bird for about $1,000 that I can drive daily for a year or so till I finish school. I want to find something that's decent enough to use as another *fun car* in addition to the T-bird when I finish school and buy a new car. All I can really find around me is this:  http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=227105072&dealer_id=565111&car_year=1988&model=TBIRD&num_records=&make3=&make2=MERC&start_year=1981&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&awsp=false&search_type=both&distance=25&marketZipError=false&model2=COUGAR&search_lang=en&make=FORD&color=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceDESC&address=60638&advanced=&end_year=1988&doors=&transmission=&max_price=&cardist=3

Sure it's got a 5.0 but it isn't worth $1,995. It's worth is really in the neighborhood of $1,000-$1,200 with the interior damage (look closely at the pics you'll see what I mean) and the probabal rocker rust (why else would the rockers be painted black?). I'd really like to get a Fox as I know they are reliable and nice cars (duh;) ) but I'm not paying $1,995 for something I know isn't worth it. Plus I really, really hate my  Buick. It's got 139,000 on it and it's falling apart. The lifters tick a bit, I'm tired of fixing trans leaks, and the rockers, bottoms of the fenders and quarters, and the door bottoms are rusted out. Plus random stuff keeps breaking in the interior:hick: . So where the hell does on find a good cheap used Fox anyway? All you guys that sell them on here are 1,500-2,000 miles away:hick:
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #1
The searches I use are Autotrader, craigslist, oodle, autoextra, cars.com, ebay, and the fan forum sites.

There are two on Lansing craigslist.  Try all craigslist within 4 hours of you and you'll find something

Reply #2
Go to Ohio... :giggle:

Otherwise the only fox i found that wasnt around $3000 was this doing a quick chicago search:
http://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/car/448075465.html

And heres a fun one on eBay in Illinois!:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-Thunderbird-Turbocoupe-1988-Ford-Thunderbird-Turbocoupe-1-Owner-No-Reserve_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6240QQihZ014QQitemZ330175665630QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
~Project ThunderStorm = '84 Charcoal Thunderbird - First Car - Long Time Work in Progress~
~Project (No Name Yet) = 1970 Plymouth GTX/RR "Clone"~

Reply #3
WA/OR area along the I5 corridor, and Ohio.

Most are on Craig's List. Only the really nice stuff hits Auto Trader anymore. Don't forget eBay though.

Reply #4
craigslist is where the 1000$ or less deals are from what ive seen.
there were a bunch of cheap foxes around here not too long ago
"Beating the hell out of other peoples cars since 1999"
1983 Ford Thunderbird Heritage
1984 Ford Mustang GT Turbo Convertible
2015 Ford Focus SE 1.0 EcoBoost

Reply #5
Ohio. I payed $150 for my '88 V8 Tbird that ran great but was rather rusty and $250 for my '87 V6 'Bird that I just got that also runs and drives great, has almost no rust and has a busted up Cougar front end.
85 Tbird 5.0
78 F150 351w
13 F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost

Reply #6
Well I haven't found anything that really interests me yet. I think I'm going to have to wait a bit and see what I can find that's decent and cheap. I'll have to put up with the Buick for a bit longer, if I don't beat it to death first:beatyoass:

If anyone finds something close to me let me know;)
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #7
like others have said... ohio.
91 ranger 2.3 turbo - nowhere near stock
87 thunderbird turbocoupe
06 pontiac g6 gt
:birdsmily:

Reply #8
Jacksonville Craigs List Has A 88 T/c For $800
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #9
Quote from: thunderjet302;183359
It's got 139,000 on it and it's falling apart. The lifters tick a bit, I'm tired of fixing trans leaks, and the rockers, bottoms of the fenders and quarters, and the door bottoms are rusted out. Plus random stuff keeps breaking in the interior:hick:

You almost sound like me when I was driving the Cougar daily. :flame:
You can find one if you keep looking and look hard enough.

Searching Craigslist around me gets results of all the decent cars costing well over $1,500. The cars costing $1,200 and under typically need work and I'm not talking body or interior work but mechanical. Not the type of thing you want as a daily driver. Trust me, I've been there.

Spend a couple hundred and get a good Saturn to beat on. Then save up and buy another nice Tbird/Cougar to go with your LX.

Reply #10
apperently i'm in cheap mustang territory....http://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=&nid=443&tab=list&pid=0
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #11
The Sport cost me $350.00.The 5.0 '88 Bird before that cost me $50.00 (the blue one in the banner).I've built them both up,but they ran great.Too bad you're not down here in the southern area.generally,they run pretty cheap.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #12
They're getting pretty uncommon these days.

I was at a local lot this past week and I found a Merkur Scorpio and an XR4Ti sitting right next to each other.
They were both pretty rough, but certainly in original shape. The XR4Ti had an automatic transmission, though.

I rarely see any Fox body Thunderbirds or Cougars for sale around here. There are still quite a few MN12s, but who the hell cares? Unless it's an early XR-7 with the HO 5.0, I have no interest in another MN12.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #13
yeah the cheap ones are in the Pacific northwest hehehe as a matter of fact... yesterday a buddy i ran into just offered me an 86 tbird for free :-| not running but everything there

Reply #14
It's not just a lack of good runners around here, it's a total lack of these cars period, including in junk yards. They're just nowhere to be found, and when you do find one it's a basket case that the owner wants the sun and the moon for. Case in point, this derelict looking 20th for sale locally:

http://halifax.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-under-5K-1987-Mercury-Cougar-W0QQAdIdZ25938171
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣