Skip to main content
Topic: SLEEPER T-BIRD 87 check this out (Read 1967 times) previous topic - next topic

SLEEPER T-BIRD 87 check this out

Ok man I know your gana dig this as much as I did.  I went to the Goodguys car show at the Texas motor speedway with my dad. As we where walking through the first section of cars I spotted something familiar, in something not so familiar. Any way this is what I saw. Motor is from a turbo cougar, stock running 10psi. I told him a few things to do to get more hp out of it. Heck, I knew more about his setup than he did!

Reply #1
That's BAMF'd!
2005 Subaru WRX STi|daily driver

Reply #2
Thats Awesome!!!
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

Reply #3
Hell, he'd been better off keeping the thing EFI.

What an over-complicated mess.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #4
there's an old yellow t bucket here in kansas city that's got a 2.3 turbo.  i've got pictures on my laptop at home.  i'll post them when i get off.  the motor is bone stock and it's nowhere near as pretty as that one, but still cool as hell.
91 ranger 2.3 turbo - nowhere near stock
87 thunderbird turbocoupe
06 pontiac g6 gt
:birdsmily:

Reply #5
ya chuck, the guy does'nt know what he's doing. Hell he's still got the A4ld! I asked him how much boost he was running, and all he could say was "I dono?"

Reply #6
I can appreciate that a lot of work went into that car, but I don't like it. Don't like the paint scheme, don't like the nose cone, don't like the windshield (looks like it doesn't even belong on that car, almost like he borrowed it from a buddy to make the car legal or something) and don't really like that engine setup. The intake manifold looks cool, but it'd look a helluva lot better with a throttle body hung on the end of it and a set of fuel injector bungs at the ports. Everything between the exhaust manifold and intake manifold (IE Turbo and Carb) looks tacked on, and in the case of the carb sitting way out where it could take out a mailbox if the driver weren't paying attention, it doesn't look tacked on very well.

I'm all for doing things differently, but it's at least gotta look good. That car, in my eyes, does not look good.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #7
Quote from: Chuck W;181667
Hell, he'd been better off keeping the thing EFI.

What an over-complicated mess.

I was thinking the same thing.
Neat as all hell though
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

Reply #8
If the guy has no-clue someone probably did it for him. I like it w/the carb up in the air like that its Roddy.

Is this page given anyone else a problem I freezes up now and then only this page. 2nd X I’m here

Reply #9
I like the Esslinger wide belt setup, using a stock belt...
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #10
draw-through carb setups look like shiznit
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]
5.0L/4R70W/8.8"/5-lug/3" Exhuast

Reply #11
Just my opinion looks too throwed together and no attention to detail.
Giant wart covering steering box is worse distraction than the box itself would be.
Brake lines, those giant loops are just flappin in the wind. Could have been run along frame rail and along axle tube.
All those vacuum lines are way to long get rid of those loops.
The throttle cable needs something different, and neaten up those plugs wires. Agreed the windshield just aint right cut the height down about half. something about those headlights are way to big for that size car. Try something different for turn signals get them off the headlights. I have always liked the track roadsters this just doesn't do it for me. I like the general idea used but the guy just didn't put enough thought in to the style and details.

Reply #12
i like it

im fixing to get ready to order me a body i think
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication

Reply #13
I'm basically in agreement with what the others said... Shiny but sort of cobbled together... If the intake had of been lower without the sewer coupling, it would look much better... 

Did anyone notice the automatic dipstick??? Third pix...

Reply #14
Anybody who would build a custom rod with a turbo 4-banger and keep an A4LD behind it has some issues. I think it's hilarious how he kept the stock oil separator setup (albeit with added chrome and paint).

I admire the detail work and creativity. I don't admire the mechanical design.

If the intake had of been lower without the sewer coupling, it would look much better...

That's actually the throttle body coupler from the stock charge tube setup. He used a lot of the original parts, it would seem.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]