Skip to main content
Topic: Harmonic balancer broke on my 302 (Read 1002 times) previous topic - next topic

Harmonic balancer broke on my 302

Hey, I was wondering if this is a common problem or not, I don't know nearly as much about 302's as I do modulars...

A few days ago, I went out to my car and started it up, it had a nasty vibration, so I didn't drive it except down the street to check it out some. Turns out the balancer came apart, the outer ring with the timing marks on it is sitting on the crank just flopping around...what parts do I need to order, just a new balancer? The ones on RockAuto look a bit different, but then again I didn't get a chance to get a real good look at mine. What's the best way to replace it as far as getting the puller in there?

Thanks for the help guys.

Reply #1
Yes it is common. There's rubber inbetween the hub and ring, and it gets dry rotted and crumbles. I replaced the one on my bird when I noticed it wobbling. I picked up a new one from Advance for ~50 bucks. Aftermarket balancers are the best way to go though.
Matt
1984 Thunderbird - 89 302 HO, GT40 heads w/ Trick Flow springs, E303 cam, Edelbrock Performer 289 intake and 600 cfm 4bbl, Mustang headers, Jegs o/r H pipe, Dynomax lers, Mustang AOD and shifter, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, 3G alternator, Mustang front and rear sway bars, KYB 87-88 Turbo Coupe shocks and struts, and 11" front brakes.

1988 Mustang GT - GT40 heads, Explorer intake, 70mm throttle body, 70mm MAF, Crane 1.7 rrs, E303 cam, Kirban Kwik shifter w/ Pro 5.0 deluxe handle, aluminum clutch quadrant and firewall adjuster, o/r h pipe, Dynomax lers, 3G alternator, aluminum radiator, and 3.27 gears.

1986 Cougar 5.0, 1989 Mark VII LSC 5 speed, 1980 Mercury Zephyr 4 door (sold)

Reply #2
Quote from: 5.0 bird;180799
Yes it is common. There's rubber inbetween the hub and ring, and it gets dry rotted and crumbles. I replaced the one on my bird when I noticed it wobbling. I picked up a new one from Advance for ~50 bucks. Aftermarket balancers are the best way to go though.

Huh. My old motor had 128,000 mile on it and the balancer was fine. Could be where the car came from though. Perhaps salt and the like degrade the rubber faster. Mine car is from California so who knows:hick:
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #3
Okay, thanks for the help. I'll see what I can find at the parts store.

Reply #4
replaced mine last year with a professinoal products one......you notice it early or is it really bad right now?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

http://www.cardomain.com/id/Carpimp1987
1987 T-Bird AEROBIRD-GT had many many mods but is now totaled and is the car that made me want to start customizing everything all over again.
1988 T-Bird 5.0 HO DD/Sleeper/next project car :birdsmily:
1988 Cougar XR7 5.0 HO Vortech Supercharged being bulit right now :cougarsmily:

Reply #5
Common for them to fall apart...

Bought a cheap one from Auto Zone for my old wore out 5.0 a year or so ago... Was less than $50...

A buddy actually exploded one on hiss '66 Shelby 289 Hi Po... Was revving it in his driveway when it came apart... Knocked a big gash in the inner panel just above the frame rail...

Reply #6
I'd have to say it is common as well, mine went out last year. Oddly enough, it is one part that I have needed that the local parts house had in stock.
1985 T'Bird 5.0
1987 Cougar 3.8
1992 T'bird Sport 5.0 HO