Skip to main content
Topic: rear window molding on 88bird (Read 1107 times) previous topic - next topic

rear window molding on 88bird

hi, glad i found this site... i wasnt having too much luck with any mustang sites lol.

well i have an 88 thundrbird lx, its black and has the chrome around the windows. recently the molding around my back window shrunk, then broke when i (like an idiot) tried pulling it back into place. the piece is trashed anyway, it has a yellow stripe. which is my first question, was this at one point chrome? second, it would be nice to get another new ford chrome part in there, but i really dont care. anyone know what/ where i might look for just a normal rubber seal...thing that will fit around it in the groove? i dont think it functions as a seal anyway, but i will go berserk the next time it flies back and hits my trunklid :beatyoass: lol

thanks
1988 T-Bird LX- Awaiting HO build, Monster "Eat My Shift" AOD rated 550Hp. BBK ceramic shorties, Jegs mustang (catless) H-Pipe. mustang catback modified axle back for tbird, 94 17" Cobra wheels, 98 'Stang GT 8.8 Traction-lock

Reply #1
for the geeks who know what came with what model, ill put up a pic of the car.

1988 T-Bird LX- Awaiting HO build, Monster "Eat My Shift" AOD rated 550Hp. BBK ceramic shorties, Jegs mustang (catless) H-Pipe. mustang catback modified axle back for tbird, 94 17" Cobra wheels, 98 'Stang GT 8.8 Traction-lock

Reply #2
That's a base or LX TBird. Looks good too ;)

The trim did start life chrome. You're going to have to find somebody with used trim. The 87 and early 88's got multi-piece metal trim (somewhere around 11/87 is the cutoff) with later ones getting 1-piece plastic stuff. The 1-piece stuff is available new from Safelite/Autolite, but I only know of the all-black Sport/Turbo Coupe stuff (I've never asked about the 1-piece chrome).

If all else fails, put in the black and then add some quality (5+ year outdoor) chrome striping tape to it. Or convert all the trim to black.

Hope that helps.

Reply #3
haha, i cant belive that started out as chrome as nasty as it looks now. ill try safelite tomorrow, it would be dandy if they carried the chrome one.

thanks!

Reply #5
im not gonna lie, i wouldnt have ever bought the car if it wasnt sitting in my yard for 10 years lol. im glad that i did though, it feels better under my lead foot than my 89 olds does. the only things that bug me about it are the cheap parts that are breaking due to age. and the roof is turning pink.... i gotta get something done about that... but it is really reliable, and i think it looks cooler than the 2391283 mustangs driving around (old fox's of course)

after the winter i will buy another car and this tbird will be dissasembled to the last speck of rust, fixed, and fully repainted. i do belive this body style will be a classic within 10 years (even though i havent seen another aerobird for quite some time now)

Reply #6
after the winter i will buy another car and this tbird will be dissasembled to the last speck of rust, fixed, and fully repainted. i do belive this body style will be a classic within 10 years (even though i havent seen another aerobird for quite some time now)

I'm kind of in the same situation, but I'm still deciding if I'm gonna spend my money fixing & repainting my car (also 88 Tbird) or save my money for some other car and let the Thunderbird go. I like the car alot, but if I find a good looking Ranchero this winter, I think I'll go for that. How much do you guess a paint job's gonna cost?

Reply #7
im sure for what i want to do, it would be a few grand to take it somewhere.

but say if i did most of the body work and the engine bay, a full spray from the insides of the doors to the engine bay will be about $1,500-2,000. ive only talked to one person about it so it could be way more or way less. I want a v8 around just because i love the power. most guys would go for a mustang, so why not fix this car up... its just a very unique mustang lol.

i just compare this to my buddys porsche 924 (not specs just the work we put into the cars) and im seeing how cheap these fords are to work on. And for the $$$$ it will take to rebuild the car mechanically, fix up the interior, and do a full paint probably wont even touch the bill for his engine parts. (and then he'll need a turbo to keep up :P)