Skip to main content
Topic: Has anybody on here done the Volvo head swap cuz I’ve got some questions. (Read 10410 times) previous topic - next topic

Has anybody on here done the Volvo head swap cuz I’ve got some questions.

Has anybody on here done the Volvo head swap cuz I’ve got some questions. Though I’m not ready to do it myself (based on knowledge and finances) I want to acquire all the info I can so everyone please post any links to any pages with info about the head swap that you have.

Reply #1
It involves lots of welding and fabrication and money.

And BoPort's Iron head still made more HP. So it's all for the "wow" factor.

Reply #2
Don Haulsee did it on his Capri II. His goal was to see if it could be done cheaply and without welding.

http://www.turboford.net/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=022453;p=1

http://www.amcansolutions.com/amcandocs/docs/16V%20Pictures/

Brent
:cougarsmily:
1985 Mercury Cougar XR-7 - 5-speed 
One of 1,246 built

Reply #3
Quote from: Aerobird Motorsports;180492
BoPort's Iron head still made more HP. So it's all for the "wow" factor.

Do you have any links to dyno/track comparisons between the two?

Reply #4
The highest HP Volvo car (on TurboFord anyways) made 440rwhp. Bo made 511rwhp with his regular iron Ford-headed car.

There are also 2 cars in the 8's (Flanders, Huber) and one in the 7's (Morgan) with the Ford 8V style head. None of the Volvo guys are out of the 11's.

Reply #5
who cares? the guy here asked for info on the swap, not if you think its worth it or not.

when i was lookin at info, i jus used google. there is alot to be found there.
gumby - beauty may fade, but stupid is forever!

Reply #6
Quote from: BCA;180498
Don Haulsee did it on his Capri II. His goal was to see if it could be done cheaply and without welding

Don has been saying he is going to do a full on write up of his conversion. You might want to wait on this as it will likely become the template for this conversion. No welding of the head required, but it does take machining of the block for freeze plugs. I think it could be done in the car with a mag base drill, but that only specualtion. Keep in mind, he has a very custom intake / header, and no matter how you go at it, these will be needed. His car keeps the distributor the way the intake is made.

I saw Don's car in person at the Columbus NMRA. He was there with the other euro Capri guys. He drove the car a ton of miles ot get there / home, and it basically ran flawless. His conversion is VERY clean, well done, and it started and ran good from what I saw.

I really dont think anyone has done the swap to this point looking for the best numbers. Most of them have been for the novelty at this point.

Quote from: Aerobird Motorsports;180563
The highest HP Volvo car (on TurboFord anyways) made 440rwhp. Bo made 511rwhp with his regular iron Ford-headed car.

I can assure you there ARE higher HP Folvo's out there. Not everyone posts on the internet.

Bob Myers

Reply #7
Good point Bob.

But until Don's conversion becomes known, it's just not an "average" guy swap. I've read the other write ups and it's amazing, but all of that work is very difficult and technical. Not to mention still doesn't make the #s (we'd of heard of a 10 second Volvo/TF if it existed).

I think Don is approaching it much better, but there is still a lot going on, especially in the intake/exhaust. And even he freely admits a BoPort SIII or Essy AL could be had for the same price.

Reply #8
Quote from: Aerobird Motorsports;180563

Keep in mind, peak numbers mean nothing. Honda's can peak 200 horsepower, but only make it at 9K rpms.

Also, the 8v head has been around for well over 20 years, thats a lot of years for people to learn, tweak, port, cut, etc. The Volvo head is still relatively new, and still being experimented with.

You can go by a "recipe" for a 2.3L, and go fast, you gotta figure out the Volvo head setup.
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #9
Quote from: Tbird232ci;180666
You can go by a "recipe" for a 2.3L, and go fast

some people can, anyhow. others cant even keep em runnin :hick:
gumby - beauty may fade, but stupid is forever!

Reply #10
Even Bob's blown more then one shortblock.

There's 2 types of 2.3T people.
The ones who break stuff.
And the ones who break stuff but don't say anything.

Reply #11
Quote from: Tbird232ci;180666

You can go by a "recipe" for a 2.3L, and go fast, you gotta figure out the Volvo head setup.

now if there was a clutch setup out there to match besides the stock one the size of a  center cap:hick:

Reply #12
Quote from: jcassity;180731
now if there was a clutch setup out there to match besides the stock one the size of a  center cap:hick:

There are guys who have made conversion plates to mount a 5.0 bell/flywheel on a 2.3.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #13
IMO the easiest way to have 16 valves in a TC is to drop a 5.0 in :hick:
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #14
I haven't done it. It sounds like to much work for not enough gain. That is from endless reading. There are people making 400-500hp with the 2.3t 8v head. Yes it takes work and tuning but at least you don't have to rework the water and oil passages to the head to do it. Just less to worry about with the 8v head. Just my 2cents
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird