Skip to main content
Topic: Making leather Shifter boot.New progress Pics added 10/9/07 (Read 1309 times) previous topic - next topic

Making leather Shifter boot.New progress Pics added 10/9/07

Yes thats right I'm making a leather shifter boot for the 84. Took a spare Vinyl one and stripped it apart. Peeled it off the metal ring at the base. Got the basic pattern made out just need to cut them and trace them to the New leather. Then cut and stitch. I was looking at the one in the car and it is different than the one I took apart. The one I took apart was a full machine stitch with the stitches hidden under the leather. Then the one in is real leather not fake stuff. It has the front half in machine stitch and the rear half in hand stitch. Is there a difference in what year got what shifter boot. Leather or Fake? Or was it more of an option package. I know both of the 84 shifter boots I have are Fake leather not real so maybe just the early ones got the fake stuff. Any one know. I bought 10 sqft of black pebble grained leather to make the boot and some other items for the car. Gonna have a nice leather steering wheel cover and maybe even some leather armrest. I'll get some pics up as soon as I get more done on this.  I still have 3 more wheel to start on and one to finish with yet.

Here is some pics of the leather that I got for this

84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

Reply #1
Here are pics of the boot I stripped apart for the pattern and the good boot with the 2 different styles of stitching that seems factory.

84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
Da Bird!

FreeBird

Reply #2
Today I did some more work on this project.  I got the pieces cut of of the leather and then sewed them to get her. I'm gonna do a hand stitch on the out side to clean up the look. So here are some new pics of where I'm at on it.

Da Bird!

FreeBird

Reply #4
cool.  God bless hot rodders, lol.

Reply #5
Nice :D
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #6
Wow! That turned out NICE!!!

Make me a steering wheel cover? ;)

Reply #7
man that looks amazing! :bowdown:

So will you be mass producing these anytime soon?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #8
I got out some wax coated thread and stitched two of the four corners. I think the stitching looks Ok Not bad for by hand with a needle and a tool to press it through the leather. Did slip on time and run the needle into my finger the backwards way. OUCH! Right now Guys I'm just in the playing around to get the look that I want. If anyone wants one I could make them but I have no Idea what to charge. Then if you just want machine stitched that is one thing but with hand stitching that is gonna cost $$$.  Also a steering wheel cover is the next project. I stripped off the leather on my A frame wheel. Using it to make a pattern for the steering wheel.  Here are some pics of the same boot as above but with hand stitching on the outer corners.

Da Bird!

FreeBird