Skip to main content
Topic: What AODs are compatible? (Read 1840 times) previous topic - next topic

What AODs are compatible?

I'm looking to get myself a core to rebuild as a winter project.  Now obviously I'm not gonna take an AOD from a 4x4 but what about something like a Crown Vic?  Are all two wheel drive AODs more or less the same?
1983 Thunderbird-302 HO, Holley 650 CFM 4150 DP, Weiand Stealth Intake, Dual-Snorkel Air Cleaner,  Holley Fuel Pump, Procomp HEI Distributor, B&M Holeshot 2400 Converter, Custom 2 1/4 duals with no cats and BBK shorties, Taurus Fan Conversion, FMS Grill, much more to come....

"In the future, I plan on taking more of an active role in the decisions I make" - Paris Hilton

Reply #1
Actually all AOD's are the same.. the tailshaft is what is different. Even on the 4x4's.. now the 4x4's have a shorter output shaft too.. 

I think the Panther chassis cars have a long output shaft transmission.
One 88

Reply #2
Where are you located at?  I have a good core here in IA.

Reply #3
I don't really know my US states well enough to know what IA stands for :hick: But I'm in Calgary, Alberta.  Just over the border from Montanna I believe.
1983 Thunderbird-302 HO, Holley 650 CFM 4150 DP, Weiand Stealth Intake, Dual-Snorkel Air Cleaner,  Holley Fuel Pump, Procomp HEI Distributor, B&M Holeshot 2400 Converter, Custom 2 1/4 duals with no cats and BBK shorties, Taurus Fan Conversion, FMS Grill, much more to come....

"In the future, I plan on taking more of an active role in the decisions I make" - Paris Hilton

Reply #4
Sorry, it's Iowa.  Kinda far, just for the AOD.

Reply #5
2,456 km away, just looking at a map.  A solid day's driving, so says google.  Oh well thanks for the thought.

Reply #6
Yea, to bad I didn't know sooner, I was just out in Utah over the summer.  But, no problem.

Reply #7
Check out this link for info on AOD interchanges.  It does matter a little if the car was a column shift or floor shift.  But they can be setup for either.  The longer tailshaft will require you to chop saw the driveshaft.  It's no biggie though that's how mine is.

http://www.coolcats.net/tech/advanced/floorshift_aod.html
84 TC 302 -5.0L/t5/7.5 locking rear and a 3.45 gear, Edelbrock Intake, Aluminum Heads, Edlebrock 65mm Throttlebody, Edlebrock Cam, 24lb injectors & MAS Air Sensor calibrated via chip,  BBK headers, Catback H pipe, Magnaflow lers :evilgrin:
:pics-stfu:

Project Thread with pics

Reply #8
I had a Panther-spec Crown Vic AOD in the convertible for like 3-4 months before it threw the overdrive band...fits perfectly, same shorter tailshaft length as the T-Bird/Cougar. Generally the Lincoln AOD's all had the longer tailshaft; everything else (Mustang, Cougar, Thunderbird, Crown Vic, etc.) had the shorter. I'm running a '92 LSC AOD in the convertible and indeed, the driveshaft had to be shortened.

Reply #9
ALL two wheel AOD's are basically the same EXCEPT for the P/Us and LSC Lincolns that have a 1" longer main shaft and tail housing...

The best are the Super Coupe versions, with the Mustang(and LSC) close behind...

One from a Crown Vic would be a good starting point, BUT try to get a '88 or newer(no matter what) as there were some internal improvements to better lube the gears... Plan on possibly swapping to your external lever as they vary from chassis to chassis(mostly shifter related)

Reply #10
Also, the number of clutches in a few of the clutch packs can be vehicle specific.
Matt :tg:

Reply #11
what about an AODE? I heard theyre stronger. My friends mustang`s overdrive bands failed on his 93 lx. and it wouldnt leave first gear. I might go t5 cause the head ache with the older aod`s
Children of Bodom!!!