Skip to main content
Topic: Engine surge-not miss (Read 776 times) previous topic - next topic

Engine surge-not miss

A couple of weeks ago I replaced all the vacuum hoses for the emissions systems under the hood on my 82 Cougar with the 3.3 six.  I've verified that it's correct per the schematic (twice).

Now when at full operating temp. I feel a bit of a surge during steady speeds above 35 and below 65.  It's almost not noticable, it is slight.  Since my car is an 82 there is no computer controls at all.  I think they added computers controls at the same time they added 02sensors and I'm not sure what year that was.  My previous Cougar was an 85.  It didn't do this with the hoses routed wrong!  Maybe that's why they were routed wrong.

I was thinking of isolating the various individual systems individually for example disable the EGR and test,  then the distributer vacuum advance and test etc.

Good idea or do you all have the easy fix that you've already experienced?
Armed Forces Car Club
Eastern Sierra Chapter, California
WEB:  armedforcescarclub.com

Engine surge-not miss

Reply #1
I had a surge one time on my 84.  Turns out my fuel pump power wire on the battery was loose.  It's an easy thing to check so I wouldn't rule it out.
84 TC 302 -5.0L/t5/7.5 locking rear and a 3.45 gear, Edelbrock Intake, Aluminum Heads, Edlebrock 65mm Throttlebody, Edlebrock Cam, 24lb injectors & MAS Air Sensor calibrated via chip,  BBK headers, Catback H pipe, Magnaflow lers :evilgrin:
:pics-stfu:

Project Thread with pics

Engine surge-not miss

Reply #2
How many vac check valves did you reaplace?
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Engine surge-not miss

Reply #3
Quote from: blu84302;178616
I had a surge one time on my 84.  Turns out my fuel pump power wire on the battery was loose.  It's an easy thing to check so I wouldn't rule it out.

Not much help, he's gonna have a mechanical pump...

Could be something such as mis routed vac lines or maybe a delay as already mentioned... A dirty carb can cause this type problem(he single barrel carbs are known for issues)... Also would be a good idea to verify the vac advance on the distributor is functioning, and timing is properly set...

Engine surge-not miss

Reply #4
I'm isolating individual systems.  The first I've isolated is the EGR valve.  So far no surge but I'll know for sure later today when I get it all warmed up at lunch.  The original one failed at 22 years.  This one is only 3 years.  I think the diaphram may have a small hole alowing it to cycle open and close instead or remaining open above 2500 rpm.  I was too lazy last nite to test it with the vacuum tool so I just have the vacuum hose disconnected and plugged.

I checked the check valves and they all work.  I eliminated those last week.

I'll keep you all posted.
Armed Forces Car Club

Engine surge-not miss

Reply #5
Nailed it!  It's the EGR valve.  py aftermarket from NAPA.:shakeass:
Armed Forces Car Club