Skip to main content
Topic: Wroking on the wheels. Updated 9-30-07 with fresh pics! (Read 1931 times) previous topic - next topic

Wroking on the wheels. Updated 9-30-07 with fresh pics!

I took off on wheel on my car and cleaned it all up. The plan is to see if I can do a good job of sorta polishing it out to get and Idea how long it will take me.

1st it did basic clean up before the tire and valve stem were removed.

Then I had the tire and stem removed. That made the unit much easier to handle so I Did more cleaning on the inside of the wheel. I used some steel wool to get rid of the nasty baked on brake dust I even found a chunk of Grape gum stuck to the back side. Then I used a steel cup brush in the Dremel to get the 10 holes clean quick and easy. Here are some pics of where I'm at on them right now.

Now it is time to start working on bringing out the Shine in the wheel. I've got a plan on how if it works I'll tell you how and show you how I did it.
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

Reply #1
ipsd-Over and over that grease and grime when it's all gone your wheels will shine !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply #2
Looks like those wheels weren't that bad to begin with. My 10-holes were trashed. I fixed 'em up using the patented "Thunder Chicken 10-hole wheel restoration program" - I also intend on doing this to the snowflakes before they go on...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #3
Very nice work but I have to ask, how did you know it was grape gum?

TED

Reply #4
Quote from: Cad-T-Bird 500;178638
how did you know it was grape gum?
TED

The gum was purple and smelled like grape when I sed it off. Maybe that means it was watermelon! LOL Yeah these 10 holes aren't to bad. My method involves the wheel spinning but not on a jacked up car.  Mine is gonna be turn it on let it run and come back to change the pads and see you awesome looking wheel. It gonna make shine them real nice I do believe.
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
Da Bird!

FreeBird

Reply #5
Update time. I was off work today so I worked on the one wheel I have been working on. I took 180grit sand paper to it. Then went back with some 320 then on to some 600. I then went over it with a FINE grade gray 3M scuff pad. Then one quick coat of Mothers Billet. I still have more work to do but here are some pics for now.

Gonna take it to the next level gonna break out the 800 then the 1000, 1500, 2000. Then back to shinny shine. Gonna clear coat them after I'm done with them.
Da Bird!

FreeBird

Reply #6
it looks great!!!
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

Reply #7
Very nice work. It looks way better than my attempts at restoring the 10-hole wheels.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #8
I like how you got the wheel to match the center cap!  Looks very nice.
One 88

Reply #9
Agree now time 2 clean my TC wheels or just save up and get me some GT500s with some NT555s. Great job your wheels look nice now best of all they match the center caps.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

http://www.cardomain.com/id/Carpimp1987
1987 T-Bird AEROBIRD-GT had many many mods but is now totaled and is the car that made me want to start customizing everything all over again.
1988 T-Bird 5.0 HO DD/Sleeper/next project car :birdsmily:
1988 Cougar XR7 5.0 HO Vortech Supercharged being bulit right now :cougarsmily:

Reply #10
Check out this link... it's great info on how to polish aluminum.  It's also a great read with plenty of pictures.  Hope you enjoy.

http://www.s10forum.com/how_to_polish_aluminum_wheels
84 TC 302 -5.0L/t5/7.5 locking rear and a 3.45 gear, Edelbrock Intake, Aluminum Heads, Edlebrock 65mm Throttlebody, Edlebrock Cam, 24lb injectors & MAS Air Sensor calibrated via chip,  BBK headers, Catback H pipe, Magnaflow lers :evilgrin:
:pics-stfu:

Project Thread with pics

Reply #11
Dang that looks nice!
Im on those forums lol. I might have to try both approaches to my ZQ8 wheels. His are aftermarket Boyd Coddingtons, not ZQ8's.
"Real cars dont power the front wheels, they lift them"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1984 Mercury Cougar GS 5.0:cougarsmily: BBK Equal Length Shorties, BBK O/R X-Pipe, Magnaflow Magnapacks, Mustang GT Stainless Tailpipes, 18" Magnaflow Rolled Edge Tips. Turbo Coupe Hood, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler. 17"x9" Cobra R's, Falken Ziex 255/50s, and 245/45s.
1984 Ford Thunderbird 3.8L "Drag Queen"
2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Lone Star Edition 5.7L Hemi 400hp, lex DOD14M Magnaflow retro-fit ler kit

Reply #12
Wow. Sweet:D
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #13
looks good i have some of the same wheels. a good friend of mine was going to send them to the crusher with a bird. so i got them for free.and some other parts off the bird. i was curious about the wheels and called a guy who sold wheels. he said the center caps
were not available on the market anymore.but the wheels were around $450 each retail.