Skip to main content
Topic: OK let's get with the program (Read 2322 times) previous topic - next topic

OK let's get with the program

Reply #15
That's pretty sweet! But, is your emblem broken off?

Reply #16
My car had one. All allumnium, but it was half painted black. I still got it after sandin it off

Reply #17
I want a box Cat! I saw a Bobcat driving down the street. I wanted it.

Nice car! and welcome.
"Real cars dont power the front wheels, they lift them"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1984 Mercury Cougar GS 5.0:cougarsmily: BBK Equal Length Shorties, BBK O/R X-Pipe, Magnaflow Magnapacks, Mustang GT Stainless Tailpipes, 18" Magnaflow Rolled Edge Tips. Turbo Coupe Hood, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler. 17"x9" Cobra R's, Falken Ziex 255/50s, and 245/45s.
1984 Ford Thunderbird 3.8L "Drag Queen"
2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Lone Star Edition 5.7L Hemi 400hp, lex DOD14M Magnaflow retro-fit ler kit

Reply #18
Thanks for all the welcomes.  I'm glad there is a sense of humor here as I thought after I posted that I could of peee'd everyone off.

I bought the car in January 2003 when some crazed woman in Bakersfield totaled my son's car and I lent him my Ranger for a year.  My thought was to use it and throw it away after a year.  I ended up liking it and when the tranny went south I had it overhauled.  I couldn't part with it but it's been a pain over the last few years.  New carb, new smog pump, new vacuum hoses for the emissions controls, new high pressure line for the power steering, new headliner (home made and looks great by the way), took all the interior out and cleaned and painted the plastics, shampoo'd the carpet and discovered that the floorboards are like new,
Installed a new heater core which as you all know requires the dash to be removed.  Converted the A/C to run on 134a but have not serviced it yet as I haven't got a vacuum pump to vacuum the system down and leak check.  A few weeks ago I replaced the valve stem seals on the cylinder head as they were all broken.  I discovered the engine is not original as it had a TAM Engineering serial number attached.  I think they are out of buisness because I can't find any info on them except that they were licensed by Ford to remanufacture their engines.  They also sold engines to NAPA.  I was hoping to find out when it was sold to determine actual milage.  I know that the car had 99k in 1999 by the pile of receipts I got with the car.  I got tires of the 85 (RIP) Cougar standard that I retired to a wonderful salvage yard.

My plans are to leave it as is for now and maybe repaint at some point.  I have the aluminum air cleaner that's atop the screamin' 200 six with the 1bbl carb that produces.......88 hp.  It also has the optional vinyl seats!  Tilt, p/s, p/b, PDL and miles and miles of aluminum and stainless trim which is near impossible to find replacements for.

Now that the daytime temps are below 110* I drive it to work pretty much daily.

Thanks for the welcome and this forum and Cool Cats are great!  I've definately received more from these sites than I ever expected.  I used the 85 Cougar for 19 years and now the 82 along with my daughter's 86 T-bird.  And I'm so glad Chuck W is restoring the XR7 as I think it's a great car and reading those 25 pages was definately enjoyable.

Oh yea the hood emblem is missing.
Armed Forces Car Club
Eastern Sierra Chapter, California
WEB:  armedforcescarclub.com

Reply #19
tbirdsps- On here everything gets taking seriously but sometimes we just respond with our thoughts and our Idea's.  Good luck with your "DD" and don't be a stranger.

Reply #20
Yeah, we have a sence of humor around here. Sometimes it's better and les strict then others but we enjoy it. Again amazing car and the first I have ever seen.88 HP heh..... makes my old CFI motor's 140 sound good now

Reply #22
Unfortunately I have to deal with California emissions rules and none of those options are possible except for the valve cover.

The only other possibility is to transplant in the 4.2 liter V8 available that year.  Or the 3.8 V6 which I don't care for.
Armed Forces Car Club

Reply #23
Quote from: tbirdsps;178805
Unfortunately I have to deal with California emissions rules and none of those options are possible except for the valve cover.

The only other possibility is to transplant in the 4.2 liter V8 available that year.  Or the 3.8 V6 which I don't care for.

You can only transplant an engine avalible that year into the car? You mean you couldn't put in something newer and cleaner burning (like a SEFI 5.0 HO) and pass smog?
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #24
Quote from: tbirdsps;178805

Or update to a newer engine, not available in the car.  As long as all the emissions stuff is intact, it would be a legal swap.  If you swap in an '89 engine, the car would have to meet emissions requirements for that year.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #25
Quote from: tbirdsps;178509

Oh yea the hood emblem is missing.

I may be able to help you with that ;)  I have a few laying around as spares for my 79's

Reply #26
As long as the parts you install are 50 state emissions legal and it passes the smog test come inspection time, then what's the issue? 

I understand funds may be a problem, but if you had that and the other things in place what else would be an issue in CA?
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #27
Actually California makes it a little difficult.  I personally like the inline 6 but if I were to change it out per Ca. I can install any engine of the same year available in the car model that year without a problem which are 2.3 four, 3.8 V6 or the 4.2 V8.

I can install a newer engine which is computer controlled and the limitation is that it has to function fully as designed i.e. All controls, sensors and dash lights (check engine) must function.  For example I could go with a 5.0 TPI from a 94 Mustang and it could be approved by a referee, who for me is in Lancaster.  But, from what I understand the emissions test must pass 1994 standards and can only be tested at the referee facility every two years.

For me the work alone is a deterent.  It's a bugger to transplant all the wiring harnesses the exhaust, O2 sensors etc. etc. etc. and make it work.  I'm pretty good at mechanical skills but that kind of work is a bit beyond my skill.  I could hire it out for $75 and hour.  Ouch!

There is no option to go with a crate engine and aftermarket sensors and controls like you see on "Overhaulin".  That show was filmed in Huntington Beach, Ca. and you'll notice the newer cars were never re-engined.  It's simply too hard.  California likes to tout cleaner air but they can't figure out to what standard to test to.  My car actually pollutes 37 time more that my 92 Ranger and it passes.

Just for some more info on customs.  The state allows 500 cars to be built per year.  You know the kind.  The type that Boyd Coddington builts where he starts with a custom chassis and builds a car from scratch.  All 500 titles were sold by January 3rd this year.  Those cars do not have to comply with emissions standards as the state simply doesn't believe that they'd actually be used on the street as most are above a quarter million dollars each.

Year One gets away with selling a brand new 57 Chevy because they use original firewall/cowl assemblys from 1957 thus retaining the 1957 GM serial numbers.

I know I go on.  I am happy with the low horsepower as I'm not a hot rodder myself.  And tires tend to last me 10 years before the rot.  I don't think I've ever replaced a bald tire.:D

Also in 2004 Ca. changed the emissions inspection law from 29 years or newer to 1976 and newer require emissions inspection.  So, mine will always require inspection unless I were to sell it to a person in a state that doesn't require inspection on older cars.
Armed Forces Car Club