Skip to main content
Topic: Digital woes (Read 1403 times) previous topic - next topic

Digital woes

I have an 88 cougar blue max 302, my digital dash backlighting stays on constantly draining batt. Sometimes speedometer goes out along with turn signals & gauges. could this be caused by the ignition switch also? Any info would be appreciated

Re: Digital woes

Reply #1
All of your problems are very likely ignition switch related. The backlighting staying on could be a result of copper particles inside the ignition switch "bridging" between contacts,and the accessories going out is likely from worn contacts (which created the particles mentioned above). Because you have this "bridging" you are a prime candidate for a fire, so I would STRONGLY recommend replacing the switch immediately, and you should disconnect the battery until you do. You do not even have to be near the car for a fire to start, so don't think that taking the key out is safe. Your car is a ticking time bomb until the switch is replaced!

If I sound like I'm preaching it's because I have experience with this. I've had the switch fail in my '88 Cougar, '87 T-Bird Sport, '88 T-Bird and '91 T-Bird. The '91 caught fire and left me stranded 600 miles from home, and is partly responsible for the recall in Canada (Transport Canada used my car as part of their investigation).
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #2
thanks for the info, it is greatly appreciated. My battery is always disconnected, i'm not driving because it needs transmission & exhaust work. thanks for the info again.

Reply #3
also check the dash light relay, the're about $25.00 at napa
on my 87 it was located near the center of the dash just to the right of the sterring wheel, there is a stack of 3 or 4 of them. my lights would go our or stay on intermittently till i changed it
Baylensman 97 XR7