Skip to main content
Topic: Life at the parts store. (Read 948 times) previous topic - next topic

Life at the parts store.

I worked 9-6 today at the good ole parts store. After we closed and we had the computers running the day end stuff. We are about to walk out the back door and it opens an a old guy walks in. We starts rambling on about getting the wrong plugs yesterday. I start to help him but the computers are off because of day end.  So I go to the books and look up his plugs. Then I go get the plugs and tell him that I can't make a ticket because of the computers. So if we own him he is out or if he owes us we are out. He tells me he will come in Tues and settle up. I tell him that if he wants to do that then he can bring those other plugs back on Tues and get these plugs. So he gets mad and says "OK"  and leaves. Then some lady is out side trying to get in so I lock the back door so they can't get in. I think this is . We were closed the OPEN sign was off and the front door was locked. That means sorry buddy see you tomorrow. Right?    Am I wrong for what I did? To me it is like this Mc'Donalds isn't going to fix you another burger if this one is wrong. If they are closed and you walked in the back door you might get the cops called on you. So what to do?
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

Life at the parts store.

Reply #1
That very situation happend to me back when i worked at advance down in va beach ,, but,,,,,,,, i did the exact opposite.

i handed the guy a new bulb and said to just bring in the old one the next day.  I figured id pay for the stinking bulb if he didnt show.  I was just being big hearted i guess.  He was hired by advance to check stores out and see if they could get employees to hose up. 

I help this guy out and he reports me to my boss.  it was not a good next day.

Life at the parts store.

Reply #2
When the day is done,the day is done.It's not 1957 any more.You can't help people (overall) like you used to.That's the sad truth.Business is business,keep it that way.After you lock up,and people walk up,tell them your sorry,but you're closed for the day.If they get angry,perhaps they'll attempt to get to the parts store a little earlier tomorrow.I enjoy helping where I can,but there comes a point where you have to draw the line somewhere,otherwise,you'll never be able to lock up,and some people will start expecting you to hep them after you've already locked the door.Don't feel bad because you have to lock up,and stay locked up.The weight of their problems isn't on your shoulders,people have to take responsibility to get where they need to be before they close to tend to business.They'll get mad and blame you,but it's their own fault.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Life at the parts store.

Reply #3
They way I look at it is:

If you can't get there before it closes come back the next day.

I also hate people who come into work 3 minutes before we close and they need something that takes 20 minutes to complete. That's just being rude and selfish.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Life at the parts store.

Reply #4
honestly if i had a business and we were closed, the front doors locked, and the lights off... walking in the back door would be a good way to get double tapped.
91 ranger 2.3 turbo - nowhere near stock
87 thunderbird turbocoupe
06 pontiac g6 gt
:birdsmily:

Life at the parts store.

Reply #5
Quote from: ipsd;176748
I worked 9-6 today at the good ole parts store. After we closed and we had the computers running the day end stuff. We are about to walk out the back door and it opens an a old guy walks in. We starts rambling on about getting the wrong plugs yesterday. I start to help him but the computers are off because of day end.  So I go to the books and look up his plugs. Then I go get the plugs and tell him that I can't make a ticket because of the computers. So if we own him he is out or if he owes us we are out. He tells me he will come in Tues and settle up. I tell him that if he wants to do that then he can bring those other plugs back on Tues and get these plugs. So he gets mad and says "OK"  and leaves. Then some lady is out side trying to get in so I lock the back door so they can't get in. I think this is . We were closed the OPEN sign was off and the front door was locked. That means sorry buddy see you tomorrow. Right?    Am I wrong for what I did? To me it is like this Mc'Donalds isn't going to fix you another burger if this one is wrong. If they are closed and you walked in the back door you might get the cops called on you. So what to do?

gotta love it...I encounter the same stuff...same job haha
'83 Cougar *the never ending project* warmed over 306 v8,c4,8.8 posi with 5 lug conversion
'91 mustang strictly street-in progress
'00 f150 7700-Mean Green: jet stage 1 chip,ported upper intake with 1" spacer,'04 Super Duty intake with injectors,summit racing short tube headers with true 2.5" duals with smithy's glasspacks!