Skip to main content
Topic: My 1988 Mercury Cougar LS (Read 4952 times) previous topic - next topic

My 1988 Mercury Cougar LS

Below is a few pictures of my 1988 Mercury cougar

bought her on ebay exactly 1 year to this date! Bought it off a scruffy car lot that had a junk yard in the back, low and behold the cougar was sitting in the junkyard.

Paint was peeling and wasn't driven in 3-4 years. drove it 4 hours home and was one of the roughest rides ever.
Anyways... here it is when i bought it, pictures actually are better then what it looked like.... no/peeling clear coat. Rust everywhere, fender knocked in. Just about everything was wrong.

Re: My 1988 Mercury Cougar LS

Reply #1
Car was then taken a fixed/repaired the flaws in the electrical system. A tune up. And all the other fun stuff.

Car was put away for 3 months for body work. Car was stripped and all hail dents, car dings, scratches were fixed. All acid rain was repaired also.

Car was painted electron blue from the 02 corvette along with pearl and metallic.

1st pic in the car being worked on
2nd 1 hour after it received its last coat of clearcoat
3rd is 2 days later at Cat Jam 04. talk about being rushed.

Reply #2
Car @ first car show
taking home 1st place beating
2 late 80s monte carlos
1 late 80s vette
1 1987 trans am

and 2 other cars. the other cars were soooo nice. And a lot more money put into. But the judges and people loved the cougar since they never see them other then ones that are rusted out, and are sitting in junkyards.

Reply #3
right now:
5.0l V8
K&N intake
2 40s series flowmaster
2.5" exhaust pipes
4" stainless steel chrome tips
14" American racing tailgunners
Sony Headunit w/ Sony speakers

Spring time:
ready to put on my new wheels and tires
14" American Racing outlaws I
Cooper Cobra Radial GTs
Headers
X Pipe

Reply #4
Love the color, some day my car will look as nice as yours, until then Ill just keep turning that purr into a growl!

Reply #5
Congratulations. Your car is very nice. You have done a great job with this car. Like MDJ1281, i hope that my car will look as nice like yours.....hey MDJ1281, your car is very nice too. I like it very much !
Both cars are great examples of 87-88 model....
1985 Mercury Cougar V6
1989 F-200 V8
1996 Explorer V6
2001 F-150

Reply #6
Yup, I was fortunate to see that car in person.  The body work/repaint is flawless.  I remember staring at the plastic modling around the car, swearing it had to be stock new.  Very vivid but not overbearing shade of blue as well.  If I can make my car look 10% as good as yours I'd feel like a hero.

Did you have to do anything to the interior?

V6->V8HO 88 LS
5.0L V8 87 XR7

Reply #7
This winter spring my gf and I are working on dressing it up a lil.

Weapon R: Black Blue Floormats and matching steering wheel cover, and seat covers.
2 15" Streetglow neon under dash.
2 15" streetglow under driver and passenger seat aiming towards the backseat.
DashMat dash overlay w/ "cougarcruisin" embroidered into it

My gf and I are working on custom sun visors, embroidered cougar logo into armrest, and Logos on headrest. Hopefully by summer a set of 88xr7 or tbird dash trim to get rid of the woodgrain.

Some people have said that it's alil too blue and stuff, and theme is alittle too far, but actually its matchin quite nice. Anyways here is a pic of the interior in late october before I put her away for the winter....

Reply #8
I just loved your car at CJ! Somedays I wish my car was more blue like your's, instead of purple. Keep up the great work!! 

P.S. Those headlight covers are sick on your car!

Reply #9
nah man, believe this, my gf is basically coming to CJ with me (or she hopes to) cuz your car changes purple!

I showed her the calender of the cougars and stuff, and she liked the color, I told her yours has more of a pearl then mine, and she is like "I can't wait to see that car, hope he comes this year."

So she wants to see your paintjob. I wish mine changed to the extremes like urs, from blue in the day to purple at night thats sweet. Mine changes to bright blue in the day to a mid blue/purple.

But thanks for the compliments.

Reply #10
Wish i would of gotten a better picture of the fog lights

hopefully they show up in this one.

Reply #11
nope too much of a shadow...

anyways they are just some wal-mart brand that has a blue lens that go with the cars exterior and a nice bright light. Since they are mounted so high people think I have my highbeams on but actually they are just the fog lights just aimed up a bit using as my main lights. HEEEhehe

headlights covers = Night time driving bought 5 feet in front of car
headlights covers = night time + rain w/ no street lights 2 feet in front of car

very dangerous, I had to drive home from my gf's cheerleading competition and it rained so bad, plus on back roads were there are no street lights, I couldn't see a single thing, traveling at 5 mph for 3 hrs. So got some foggers and can see a tad bit more.

Reply #12
Yeah I always used to take the headlight covers off of my '85 at night.  They look really good in the daytime though so it was only a minor inconvenience.
-Jim
1987 Cougar LS 5.0

Reply #13
mine are like stuck on for good, i cant seem to get them back off w/o scratching the paint more.. so they will be on 4eva!

Reply #14
No, thank you (and your girlfriend) for the compliments! Like I said, "somedays" I wish my car wasn't so purple, but on most days I like it. lol

... and on that note, I STILL LOVE YOUR CAR!!! Wanna trade? :)