Skip to main content
Topic: '89 5.0 HO vs Stock SO differences (Read 1155 times) previous topic - next topic

'89 5.0 HO vs Stock SO differences

Found the motor that I'm taking a look at this weekend and will be gathering parts for the swap over the next week. I need to know though, how is the placement of the headers' outlet compared to the stock manifolds? I assume I am going to need to drag it into an exhaust shop to have it hooked up? Any insight on this topic? I'd prefer to use the headers instead of the factory exhaust manifolds, but if the swap is done on a Saturday through the afternoon (or drags onto a Sunday), I won't be able to get it into a shop before needing it for work Monday morning.

Second, although it doesn't fit in Engine Tech, the '89 auto transmission was an aod, correct? Are there any complications with using it instead of the stock one? A different kickdown cable or anything?

Anything else I may run into along the way? I have/will have everything to convert to mass air if I don't decide to stick with speed density.
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #1
Mark motor or mustang?  The stock exhaust for the manifolds will not bolt to stock headers..  Transmission.. only an issue baring your car column shift or console shift..
One 88

Reply #2
Mustang. I doubted on the headers and just thinking about using the stock manifolds until a true dual exhaust swap, whenever that may happen (still have to deal with emissions so new cats can get expensive - emissions is also one of the major reasons for the swap as this motor burns quite dirty, even though it still runs excellent and everything works as its supposed to). Full console/shifter in the Sport.
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #3
Well the mustang transmission would work just fine then, since you have a floor shifter car.  Someone here did an Ho conversion and ran through the stock exhaust. Kingcars I think.
One 88

Reply #4
All SEFI Stangs thru 93, used a AOD for the 5.0 auto tranny...

Reply #5
Yeah man, I just went through a dual exhaust swap back in May for my Sport after I did the HO conversion in March.  I had the same worries about the cats jacking up the cost of the exhaust.  Look on ebay and such for good deals.  I got a full stock Mustang H-pipe with 4 cats in good condition for $50.

Reply #6
The Mustang AOD has a different tailshaft governor that allows for more RPM's at WOT (about 300-400).
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #7
Quote from: V8Demon;175603
The Mustang AOD has a different tailshaft governor that allows for more RPM's at WOT (about 300-400).

With the TV cable adjusted all the way forward my stock AOD will upshift at full throttle at 5,000 rpms. I don't know why but it does. The previous owner had the trans rebuilt about a year before I got the car but the tailshaft wasn't changed as far as I know:dunno:
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.