Skip to main content
Topic: Found these plugs! More info please? (Read 1868 times) previous topic - next topic

Found these plugs! More info please?

I took the dash pad off my 84 today. Behind the clock there are 2 more plugs. Would these be for a Trip Meter? IF not what are they for? Here is a pic. Also I found out that the dash pad was made on Jan 20 1984. They must have been running tight production. The build date on the car is Feb 84

84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

Reply #1
They're not tripminder plugs. The tripminder plug is long and flat with only one row of terminals. The 8-terminal plug MIGHT be the one the tripminder harness plugs into though (the tripminder harness is flat on the end that plugs into the tripminder and rectangular on the end that plugs into the car's harness)
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #2
Actually that 8 pinner looks an awful lot like the plug for the tripminder adapter harness.
One 88

Reply #3
I can't remember exactly, but they look like the plugs for the premium sound amp that is mounted in the center of the dash, I think the 8 pin is the speakers, and the 4 pin is the power to the amp.

Reply #4
I don't believe that they are the Preminum sound plugs. My car came with the prem audio package. I have installed an after market CD player and both the bypass plugs and prem sound plugs are down by the radio.  I was thinking since I had the pad off I should find out if these where the proverbial Tripminder plugs or not. Any way to verify if these are them or not. I have a Digtial VOM to test with. The car runs it just isn't the DD any more.
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
Da Bird!

FreeBird

Reply #5
What are the wire colors.

Reply #6
I went out there today and was cleaning under the dash pad area. I found this tag on the wire bundle  about 4" behind those plugs. The tag has a printed label
  E3SB
9A840-BG
    D.I.

Then below that in hand wrighting there is this.
  E4SB
19A170
  BA
Anyone have a clue on that part. I was thinking maybe it is some sort of ID for the plugs or harness part.
Da Bird!

FreeBird

Reply #7
I took a pic of those plugs showing the wires. I have to head out in a min but I'll get a detailed plug to wire color chart up when I get back home.
Da Bird!

FreeBird

Reply #8
Just FYI...I had my dash top off a few weeks ago and remembered this thread, and dug back behind the clock. Didn't find those harnesses at all. I just got an '84 EVTM though...will look up the info when I get home.

Reply #9
Here is a little diagram I made of the plugs and the wire colors. Sorry the white wires don't show up on the white background. They are labeled.  Hope you can read them the down size doesn't help!
Da Bird!

FreeBird

Reply #10
Looks like your car did indeed have the Premium Sound option. Those wiring harnesses appear to be C422 and C423/424, both grey in color, one has 8 terminals, one has 4. The amplifier appears to have been attached on the top of the dash above the clock. 83Heritage was 100% correct. I believe you now owe him a beer or two.
:cheers:

Reply #11
That is strange what is that football shaped Thing under the rear deck? I thought that was the Premium sound amp. Maybe they wired it for both locations? They are coming from the center of the dash right near the speaker hole in the center. And if those are the amp plugs how can I mail you a beer!
Da Bird!

FreeBird

Reply #12
From what I can tell...the amp could be mounted in either location. There is certainly a hole for it on the top of the dash above the clock, and in fact that's how it's depicted in my EVTM book. Although it looks like a speaker hole it is, in fact, for the amp. I know that the amp can also be mounted behind the lighter panel. Either position should be technically correct. However, I have a gut feeling that the top-mounted amps had a tendency to get the dash pad too warm, or maybe even contributed to cracking and/or amp failure. That may have been a running change. Or, it could have been top-mounted for 1983 only. Hard to say.

Maybe the 1984 part number on that harness explains things too...it may have been a running change that added two sets of plugs, so that the amp could be attached in either location, and the other set just hung there.

Do you still have the Premium Sound system working in your car then? Are the plugs still attached to the factory amp? If so, that must be the answer...

Reply #13
Nope I don't have the premium sound working in the car. But before I took out the factory deck the premium sound still worked. I went to the local ford place and they told me about the extra bypass plugs. I did move the amp into the passenger side rear arm rest area. Still hooked up. So now that we know How can I mail some BEER? I guess someday when we hook up I'll just have to buy 83heritage a few.
Da Bird!

FreeBird