Skip to main content
Topic: for those with engine swap experience. (Read 3264 times) previous topic - next topic

for those with engine swap experience.

I measured 16 1/2" from the horizontal bolts center to center on the motor mounts in my '87 turbo coupe.  I understand 5.0 mounts bolt to clevelands and windsors.  I have a 1976 351W from a Torino, sitting on a stand out back with the original mounts on it.  They have the horizontal bolt set-up, also, but I measured approximately 19" center to center.  I know trucks don't use this type of mount, so I'm asking here. Any ideas?  Is the Mustang K-member different in that width? (I know 86-88 birds are unique in their mounts, but why and how?  Are the 351's THAT TIGHT in between the mount locations?  How could a 460 fit in there?, I mean the K-member has to clear the lower inner fender area, right?
1987 TC

Reply #1
On the 86-88 cars, the lower brackets for the 2.3, 3.8 and 5.0 (5.8) are all the same on the motor mounts.  Only the upper brackets are different.  Don't try and compare from a different platform.

Are you planning a 460 swap?
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

Reply #2
A 351 isn't any wider at the motor mounts than a 302, it's just taller so it's gain in width is above that point...

AFIK all Stangs, '85-earlier Birds, etc use a C member that takes a 45* mount arrangement, whereas the '86-'88 Bird/Coug uses a flat surface for the mount to set... I understand the MN12 use a similar arrangement and the 3.8 insulators work on the '86-'88 5.0 cars...

Reply #3
Yeah, I have the lower half of the 5.0 mounts from an 87 XR7, but the uppers are gone with the motor.  The lowers appear the same, which is why I began to wonder about them all being the same as a "Ford standard", but Ford being Ford, I should know better, lol.

I'm planning on a 400, actually a TMI prepped 434, cuz I have to be different, lol.  The 3 bolt mount on the block is at an angle.  The '79 tbird (and others) have the 3 bolt rubber insulator with the horizontal bolt mount....see pic here:  http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?MfrCode=ANH&MfrPartNumber=2365&PartType=27&PTSet=A

Seems simple enough to set the engine in, set your spacing and bolt it with the horizontal bolts, but I'm sure the width won't match stock.  So I'm looking at a 460 k-member as one option, but that's a bit spendy especially if it doesn't work.  My second option is to modify the lower half of the mount and widen to the distance needed.  My third option is to use motor plates, And my fourth option is build a complete frame using a Street Rod style Mii suspension, but that's a lot of work, lol.  So then, i ask the swappers here about the 460 K member dimensions, the Mustang 5.0 K member dimensions, and if I should just be slapped upside the head.
1987 TC

Reply #4
Yeah the key piece is the upper bracket that bolts to the engine...

I believe the 400/351M uses the same mount system as the 460(maybe you said that)... The 351W/C use the small block mounting points...

Reply #5
351M/400 uses a unique motor mount pattern on the block. i stuffed a 400 into an 86 capri that i never finished a long time ago. custom motor mounts on the factory 4banger k-member
gumby - beauty may fade, but stupid is forever!

Reply #6
Well, that's what I figured would be the case.  Gumby, do you remember what mounts you started with, or did you make yours from scratch?  I have '79 4x4 mounts on it now with the angled vertical bolt and nut.  I thought maybe a triangle piece of steel with 2 slots in it would hold the two halves together (motor mount and lower car mount).  I'm trying to make a game plan before I set the engine in this weekend for fitment.  The flipside is I'm using the same engine to fit my '48 F1 mounts using CPP tubular kit( http://www.classicperform.com/Store/1948_64_Ford_Truck/CP4977.htm )  Which uses these mounts:
1987 TC

Reply #7
try mounts for a 77 thunderbird, these should be what you need.  I too was thinking about dropping in a 400 back before I decided to go the stock route.  Now the 400 is sitting in my 79 cougar.

Reply #8
i started with the motor half of a set of mounts from a 77 ranchero and built the bottom half with a small isolator
gumby - beauty may fade, but stupid is forever!

Reply #9
Thanks guys, I feel a little more confident, now.
1987 TC

Reply #10
HAVI :  Are you going 460 or 351M/400 ?

I am using a factory 87 TC k-member with my own designed solid motor mounts because no-one makes rubber 460 87-88 T/C mounts.

I don't have any photos right now but I could crawl under and take some shots.

If you used a Mustang k-frame you could put anything you want in it.  ;)  Alan
Alan Mackin--Semi Professional Ford der
83 T-Bird 460
83 T-Bird Heritage 5.0
84 T-Bird 5.0
86 T-Bird Turbo Coupe NHRA Stocker & Super Stocker
87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe
88 Bronco II Drag truck 302
95 Mustang GT auto
2004 F-350 CC Dually V-10

Reply #11
Quote from: 83-88T-Bird Guy;174419
HAVI :  Are you going 460 or 351M/400 ?

I am using a factory 87 TC k-member with my own designed solid motor mounts because no-one makes rubber 460 87-88 T/C mounts.

I don't have any photos right now but I could crawl under and take some shots.

If you used a Mustang k-frame you could put anything you want in it.  ;)  Alan

going 400 since I have one sitting here.  Waiting on the weather to clear so I can hang it down in there to see how much room I have.  Hoping to use the TC k-member.
1987 TC