Skip to main content
Topic: My Aerobird GT-Car got wreck lady pulled out in front of me. (Read 28451 times) previous topic - next topic

My Aerobird GT-Car got wreck lady pulled out in front of me.

Reply #135
Yeah that subframe looks toast just from pics. I work in a shop, and Ive seen wrecks like that. Id keep the car and find one to swap everything over to.
"Real cars dont power the front wheels, they lift them"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1984 Mercury Cougar GS 5.0:cougarsmily: BBK Equal Length Shorties, BBK O/R X-Pipe, Magnaflow Magnapacks, Mustang GT Stainless Tailpipes, 18" Magnaflow Rolled Edge Tips. Turbo Coupe Hood, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler. 17"x9" Cobra R's, Falken Ziex 255/50s, and 245/45s.
1984 Ford Thunderbird 3.8L "Drag Queen"
2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Lone Star Edition 5.7L Hemi 400hp, lex DOD14M Magnaflow retro-fit ler kit

Reply #136
Ouch, same thing happened to a freind of mine in his lifted chevy when he was taking his little bro to school. Only difference was the woman was getting on the highway, she had no arrow in her turn lane but insisted that she did and was raising all kinds of hell. Luckily a school bus driver saw it and told the police what happened.

Hopefully you can find another fox. Sucks to see this happen.
85 Tbird 5.0
78 F150 351w
13 F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost

Reply #137
Make sure they dont write it off, and crush it. I doubt they will give u as much as you have into the car. Hope u find another!
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

Reply #138
I'd find a 5.0 sport in nice shape down here in TX and start swapping the parts from Aerobird to it.

Quote from: Chuck W;208629
The insurance company won't pay to have it fixed.  It will be totalled. Best case you'll get the car back and a little $$

Chuck's right, I've been in your shoes. Here is what will happen and what you need to do...

The lady's insurance company will probably offer you a lowball settlement and want to keep your car. I would try for at least $1500 plus you keep your car. If they insist on taking your car strip it BEFORE they come to pick it up. In fact, I'd start stripping it this week end just in case. I've been through this before with a Turbo coupe. Thier initial offer was $1000 and they keep my car. I countered with "F**K you, my car's not for sale! I want $2000 and I keep my car". We argued back and forth on the phone for around 2 weeks but I got my 2 grand and kept the car.

Just make sure they understand how much money you have in the car and what kind of "pristine" condition the car is in and that any "book" value doesnt apply in this case.... If you get my drift. They'll try and find cars similar to yours for sale so they can value yours but they wont find any. Tell them "that's because mine is exceptional and in pristine condition". Be stubborn and keep at them and in the mean time get that thing stripped. At the very least you'll buy time while you're haggling over the settlement.

You've got to take control of the argument from the start! Thier job is to screw you and save thier billion dollar company a few pennies...

Remember that!

Hope this helps.

Hell, I wish I lived closer. I'd come over and help you strip it just to make sure you dont forget anything.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
86 5.0 Turbocoupe (Katrina), 87 5.0 Sport (Rita)

Reply #139
I wonder if it would help to save all of the ridiculous ebay auctions that are listed with incredibly high prices.  I might just start doing that in case my car meets a similar fate in the future.
2000 Jaguar XK8 Convertible - 4.0L DOHC V8 (AJ27)
2018 Ford Explorer - 3.5L DOHC V6 (Duratec 35)
1999 Mercury Grand Marquis - 4.6L SOHC V8 (Modular)
1987 Mercury Cougar LS - 5.0L V8 (Windsor) [SOLD in 2009]

Reply #140
pull all the broken stuff off and check how bad it really is.
:ford::oldcougar::mercury:

Reply #141
Quote from: SSX;208643
I wonder if it would help to save all of the ridiculous ebay auctions that are listed with incredibly high prices.  I might just start doing that in case my car meets a similar fate in the future.

+1

Dospoogeent all the money and time you've invested in the car.  Find prices from three different "equivalent" cars for sale (on evilbay etc), get prices from auto enthusiast publications like CPI.  Make them pay.

Lots of good advice here, all painfully earned.  Oh, and one more thing.  Don't trust that insurance company any further than you can throw your car.
#1 (left): undergoing top-to-bottom rebuild     
#2 (right): DD, power everything (sorta)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #142
i wish i had known to keep my first car. it was a flawless 85 tc. i didn't know what i had. :/
i'm sorry to hear about your bird. that's why i like driving a p.o.s. 95 cougar around town, just in case that happens.
:cougarsmily:5.0 HO, E303 cam, Exploder/Cobra intake, smog pump delete, Ford Taurus electric fan, MAF conversion, BBK headers, MAC 2.5" off-road exhaust w/x-pipe, AOD w/shift kit, 8.8 Trac-Loc rear w/disc brakes, 5-lug conversion w/'98 Mustang GT 17" wheels, Mach 1 springs:cougarsmily:

Reply #143
That was one of a kind!
Get what you can for the hurt bird!!
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #144
That car is fvcked. Sure, if you put enough money into it a body shop with a frame machine could save it (maybe even weld on a whole new front clip), but at the end of the day you'd end up spending more than the car is worth, and still probably end up with a bent car with a salvage or rebuilt title. Like Chuck said - you live in the south, it shouldn't be hard to find a replacement. Save yourself some money and buy a cheap V6 Bird, then transfer your drivetrain over.

Before the insurance company even makes you an offer you should contact a licensed auto appraiser and tell them your predicament. DO NOT let the insurance company take the car until you do, and preferably you should do it before an adjuster looks at it. Any appraiser worth his salt should be able to determine the pre-crash condition and value of the car and assign a value to it. It might cost you $100 for an appraisal, but I guarantee it'll be worth your time to do so. The insurance company has to pay what the car is appraised at, not its book value. That car, with the custom work you've done to it (be sure to tell the appraiser everything, and show him the mods in person so that he can add their value to your appraiser) should be worth at least $5k.

I will not even be taking my car on the road this spring until it's appraised.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #145
Quote from: Thunder Chicken;208684
That car is fvcked. Sure, if you put enough money into it a body shop with a frame machine could save it (maybe even weld on a whole new front clip), but at the end of the day you'd end up spending more than the car is worth, and still probably end up with a bent car with a salvage or rebuilt title. Like Chuck said - you live in the south, it shouldn't be hard to find a replacement. Save yourself some money and buy a cheap V6 Bird, then transfer your drivetrain over.

Before the insurance company even makes you an offer you should contact a licensed auto appraiser and tell them your predicament. DO NOT let the insurance company take the car until you do, and preferably you should do it before an adjuster looks at it. Any appraiser worth his salt should be able to determine the pre-crash condition and value of the car and assign a value to it. It might cost you $100 for an appraisal, but I guarantee it'll be worth your time to do so. The insurance company has to pay what the car is appraised at, not its book value. That car, with the custom work you've done to it (be sure to tell the appraiser everything, and show him the mods in person so that he can add their value to your appraiser) should be worth at least $5k.

I will not even be taking my car on the road this spring until it's appraised.

wow i never knew that... That sounds like a really good idea!!
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

Reply #146
When I totalled my Cougar, they gave me what the national average selling price was for my Cougar.  Then added for any new parts I had installed.

There are tons of Fox Cougars and Tbirds in Austin, Dallas, Houston, and SA. Some for hundreds of dollars, just waiting for a transplant.

I sent you a PM about an 88XR7 I found in Midland, TX

Reply #147
Only thing i found today was a 1989 Supercoupe body to swap my 5.0 in to $500 blown engine has nicer factory sound system and i think a AOD and its red so i was thinking maybe some white bullet wheels and one or 2 white stripes.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

http://www.cardomain.com/id/Carpimp1987
1987 T-Bird AEROBIRD-GT had many many mods but is now totaled and is the car that made me want to start customizing everything all over again.
1988 T-Bird 5.0 HO DD/Sleeper/next project car :birdsmily:
1988 Cougar XR7 5.0 HO Vortech Supercharged being bulit right now :cougarsmily:

Reply #148
Ouch
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #149
Wow man. Gotta offer my condolences. That's terrible, I did not at all expect the pics to be like that.

She was sweet thats for sure. And she kept ya safe! These things surround us with a lot of sheetmetal. Guardians they are!

That wheel sure looks straight and true...who knows frame could still be tweaked as has been said.

Hope ya find something to fill the hole this created! I wouldn't be able to deal with it. Id have neighbors complaining about an "eyesore" because I'd keep it...even if it was unusable. I'm just soooo attached to the  thing.

RIP Aerobird GT :(  The memories will NEVER DIE.
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane