Skip to main content
Topic: KOER codes 12, 16, 13 (Read 961 times) previous topic - next topic

KOER codes 12, 16, 13

Finally got KOER to go by wiring the Neutral safety input to the computer to a local ground.

Stumbles at idle, stalls, Long crank.

It barely makes it through the idle tests and then throws the following codes:
12 - Cannot control RPM during ER Self-Test high RPM check.
16 - RPM too low to perform HEGO test.
13 - Cannot control RPM during ER Self-Test low RPM check.

I wiggled the connector to the TFI and i cleaned it.  Put every thing back together and still got 12, 16, 13. 

Tried to run the Dynamic Balance with no luck (it stalls after the initial blip).

I think ive got all the vac leaks plugged. Other things ive done:
Clean, lube, reassemble the Idle air control valve
Remove and check the EGR - seals up nicely.
disconnected and plugged EGR solenoid and Thermactor system.
Disconnected and plugged the brake booster line.
Checked and set the TPS to .98v
Swapped in a spare MAP but swapped it back when it made no difference.

It sounds great when you stomp on it but it cant seem to hold a good idle.

Any ideas?
-dz

KOER codes 12, 16, 13

Reply #1
Disconnect the IAB and set the idle to 550 RPM... Reset the TPS to .9-.95v and reconnect the IAB... Run KOER again...

KOER codes 12, 16, 13

Reply #2
Ill give that a shot.  I did adjust the Idle stop using the feeler gauge + 1.5 turns.  W/O the IAB, it generally wont stay running and i doubt itll hold an idle as low as 550.  I shall give it a try though. 

The other plans are to run a compression check on it this afternoon.  I have no oil burnoff but I'm starting to think I might have a burnt or stuck valve.

KOER codes 12, 16, 13

Reply #3
Forget the f-gage, just set it at 550...

If the vac is jittery(easy quick check) then you could have ring/valve prob..

KOER codes 12, 16, 13

Reply #4
I noticed that if I disconnected the FPR the engine idle smoothed out some. So i pulled the upper intake and replaced a bunch of questionable vac hoses.  bolted everything back up with fresh hoses.  I also replaced the FPR while i was in there cause it was cheap.

I put everything back together and it still runs better with the vac line off.  Plugged Filter? Weak pump?  I started pulling the plugs to check the gap and I noticed they all have a dark black spot one one side of the ceramic. 

With the vac line disconnected from the FPR and plugged, i was able to set the idle to 550 and run KOER to get codes.  Nothing major showed up and it even passed the balance test.  How come when i reconnect the FPR it stumbles.

Any ideas TC50?

KOER codes 12, 16, 13

Reply #5
With the vac line off the reg you should have 39psi, with it on approx 30... Apparently it likes the extra fuel... You may just need to clean the injectors... Fuel pressure is OK as long as it pulls good at WOT...

If you haven't pulled the battery cable off for 15min to completely clear the computer it may be a good idea... Just clearing codes doesn't change the adaptive strategy corrections the EEC has made... I've seen bad o2 sensors cause a stumble(and die) at idle but they have to warm up, so problem started after a minute or two...

KOER codes 12, 16, 13

Reply #6
I swapped out the fuel filter and disassembled/spread the Salt and pepper shaker like connectors on the back of the Intake manifold.  It idles smooth now.  I can bump the throttle and it comes right back down to an idle.  FPR is reconnected and everything seems peachy.  It still doesn't idle as smooth as my Supercoupe but it sounds good.

Its still got a bit of a hard start however.  Ill have to get a Fuel Pressure gauge from somewhere and check it.

Next up, the tranny that neutrals out in second.....  Gotta love 300$ auction cars.

Thanks for the help TurboCoupe50
-dz

KOER codes 12, 16, 13

Reply #7
Quote from: danzajax;170240
Gotta love 300$ auction cars.

OH Yeah, all but 3-4 of my past Birds have come from auctions...

My white now 5.0 TC was $1215($200 of that to my car buddy who picked it up), but that was July of '97...

The red TC in my sig was $420, back in '02...

BTW I kinda forgot about the S&P shakers... Glad you thought to check them, good call...