Skip to main content
Topic: What do I need to do to prepare my engine for a T3/T4 Hybrid turbo? (Read 2317 times) previous topic - next topic

What do I need to do to prepare my engine for a T3/T4 Hybrid turbo?

For now I basically just wanna replace the stock turbo. I was gonna rebuild it but a thorough rebuild kit is like $75 on ebay but I can get a T3/T4 for a little less than $175 shipped.

Also... The info on the T3/T4 says it has a .50 A/R Compressor and a .63A/R Turbine. Does anyone know what the specs are for the factory turbo that's in an 88 turbo coupe? Can you explain to me what the whole A/R thing is, I read it somewhere but don't remember what it was.

Reply #1
The area of the cone to radius from center hub is expressed as a ratio (AR, A/R, or A:R). So is a higher A/R better? The turbo I'm looking at has a .50 compressor and I think the stock turbo has a .60compressor.

Somebody's gotta be able to answer these questions.

Reply #2
this may help.  there's a lot of info on here... much more then i care to type out.

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/tech_center/turbo_systems_tech_center.html

have fun. 

oh, and to your initial question of what you need to do to prepare... nothing, it's a direct swap.  just remember that 15psi on an ihi is not the same as 15psi on a bigger turbo.  watch your boost and your timing/fuel curves.  you don't want to melt  piston.
91 ranger 2.3 turbo - nowhere near stock
87 thunderbird turbocoupe
06 pontiac g6 gt
:birdsmily:

Reply #4
I'm not a turbo car owner (well I am but its just in the name) but I know that the t3 isn't a direct swap.  The turbo outlet is different and either needs to be ground off or something done in order for it to work.
One 88

Reply #5
ok.  little things like a new way to connect the vane air meter, and the vac lines that are on the compressor side.  as far as the turbo outlet, you'll need a new coupler to compensate for the slight size difference.  nothing on the exhaust side should change.  you'll want to use a steel braided oil feed line, and you'll need a return line from a t3 equipped car, or you can buy a steel braided one. 

stinger makes one. 
http://www.stinger-performance.com/headerparts.html

scroll down a bit and you'll see it.

other then that, i cant remember if there was anything else... it's been so long.
06 pontiac g6 gt

Reply #6
I'm not worried about the inlet cuz I'm making a custom cold air intake.

Reply #7
Quote from: JoeNoble;168708
I'm not worried about the inlet cuz I'm making a custom cold air intake.

right on.  like i said though, make sure you have provisions for the crank case vent tube.
06 pontiac g6 gt

Reply #8
I bought one of those small cone breather filters... Can I use that?

Reply #9
Quote from: JoeNoble;168717
I bought one of those small cone breather filters... Can I use that?

you can, but there's a lot of people that don't agree with just putting a filter on there.  you need to draw a vacuum on it to pull the pressure out.
06 pontiac g6 gt

Reply #10
So it'll work but for optimal performance it's no recommended?

Reply #11
Dude, DO NOT buy one of those $150-200 hybrids off ebay. Trust me, they're junk.

Garrett H.
'94 F250 XLT- 4x4, 5 speed, 7.3 IDI Turbo Diesel, 4" intake, 4" exhaust, 5" turnout stacks, manual hubs, etc.
'87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
Engine, wheels, tires, etc!
Exhaust sound clip
Another clip

Reply #12
Quote from: Red_LX;168726
Dude, DO NOT buy one of those $150-200 hybrids off ebay. Trust me, they're junk.

Why do you say that?!

Reply #13
Quote from: JoeNoble;168728
Why do you say that?!

is that the one you're talking about?!!!!
i thought it was a used unit that you were getting a good deal on.

DO NOT buy one of those turbos!  they don't last more then a couple months... there's a reason that thousands of people absolutely refuse to put them on their motors.
06 pontiac g6 gt

Reply #14
Ok, so where can I get a good deal on a T3/T4 turbo? Are there any on ebay that are ok to use?