Skip to main content
Topic: Small object on the firewall. Pretty sure has to do with vacuum... (Read 932 times) previous topic - next topic

Small object on the firewall. Pretty sure has to do with vacuum...

There's a small round object mounted on the firewall near the turbo and I'm assuming it has something to do with vacuum. Well I pulled the hoses to replace them and like an idiot didn't mark them. Luckily the car isn't my daily driver (yet) and I haven't tried to look and figure it out myself (the car is at my mother's) but, what is it and where do the hoses go?

I know at least one of them connects to one of the small tubes on the turbo inlet here....

Reply #1
if your talking about the thing mounted under by the air box.its the boost control solenoid.
louie  :birdsmily:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]       
My famous last words:
It seemed like a good idea at the time.        88TC R.I.P.      88 Sport build in progress

Reply #2
So one hose goes after the compressor and the other goes before. That helps alot actually. Thanks!... But which one? Does it matter?

Reply #3
Quote from: JoeNoble;168391
Does it matter?

No
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #4
i would've answered this, but it's all been taken care of.  good deal.
91 ranger 2.3 turbo - nowhere near stock
87 thunderbird turbocoupe
06 pontiac g6 gt
:birdsmily:

Reply #5
Next question: If I was to remove this and use and aftermarket blow off valve is there anything I need to do to the wires that plug into the factory boost control solenoid?

Reply #6
first off, you can't replace a bcs with a bov.  you need to put a bcv in its place.  you don't need to do anything with the wires.

a blow off valve (bov) goes inbetween the turbo and the throttle body, and relieves the pressure left in the charge pipe when you suddenly let off the trottle.  a boost control valve (bcv) replaces the boost control solenoid and goes between the compressor housing and the wastegate and allows you to manually control how much boost you run.
91 ranger 2.3 turbo - nowhere near stock
87 thunderbird turbocoupe
06 pontiac g6 gt
:birdsmily:

Reply #7
Oh... I thought a bcs was like a factory bov. Wait... Is a bcs not kind of a cross between a bcv and a bov? Only it's set at a certain psi and you can't control it, right?

Reply #8
Boost control valve = Turbo boost controller. Gotcha! I've actually been looking at getting one... This one actually.

Also looking into a turbo timer like this one