Skip to main content
Topic: Code Reader (Read 1404 times) previous topic - next topic

Code Reader

Well i was wanting/Needing a code scanner now to try and find some of the qwuirks in my car now that it's running.
I would like to purchase one that shows you the actual codes instead of counting blinks and such...

Anyone have any suggestions for a good one below $50?

I found this at schucks for $30:
Equus Digital Code Reader: For Ford 1981-1995
http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?MfrCode=EQU&MfrPartNumber=3145

It look's really nice and has what i'm looking for, Anyone have one or know if it's any good (Not cheapie, And wont break in 2 secs)?
~Project ThunderStorm = '84 Charcoal Thunderbird - First Car - Long Time Work in Progress~
~Project (No Name Yet) = 1970 Plymouth GTX/RR "Clone"~

Code Reader

Reply #1
A paper clip and an buttstuffog multimeter will work just fine. Code readers aren't needed for our cars.

Code Reader

Reply #2
I just used an LED and some wires when I retrieved the codes from my '86. I had no problems with the procedure.
There's a write-up at NATO on how to do it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Code Reader

Reply #3
I'll go check it out, thanks.

I may just be lazy and by the one above though. :hick:
Comes with a printed manual of all the codes, Memory storage and whatever the self test functions are.
~Project ThunderStorm = '84 Charcoal Thunderbird - First Car - Long Time Work in Progress~
~Project (No Name Yet) = 1970 Plymouth GTX/RR "Clone"~

Code Reader

Reply #5
I picked up an Actron that reads both OBD-I and OBD-II.  I need it for the OBD-II fast codes, so I figured i might as well pick up one that reads OBD-I as well....
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Code Reader

Reply #7
If you have a check engine light all you need is a paper clip..  It flashes the check engine light.
One 88

Code Reader

Reply #8
The Equuis digital unit is great, have TWO of them(NO ONE AIN"T FOR SALE)...

I fornicatekin' hate counting blinking lights...