Skip to main content
Topic: Mass air conversion finally complete (Read 1769 times) previous topic - next topic

Mass air conversion finally complete

Finally got this project wrapped up and complete. As some of you may remember awhile back, I was rebuilding the engine out of a lincoln mark to swap into the tbird and also convert over to mass air.
I towed the car up to PA to have my dad help out with pulling and installing the engines. Everything went great with no problems. Everything aftermarket I installed I listed in my sig. I've got about 400 miles on the motor now and she runs great. I'm amazed at how much more pull there is now, especially when downshifting at highway speeds. Once I've got it broken in completely, I'm gonna install a nitrous kit on her and make some N/A runs along with some juiced runs. Can't wait!:evilgrin:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]http://www.fquick.com/slicksport88
88 Sport - 5.0HO, Mass Air, A9L, 73mm C&L meter, BBK CAI, 255 lph pump, 1.7 roller rockers,Professional Products damper, Chuck W motor mounts, BBK shorties & H-pipe, Flowmaster 40 series, 8.8 rear w/3.27's, 93 Cobra M/C, BAER 13in. drilled/slotted rotors front and back, cobra calipers, Russell braided brake lines front & back, C/C plates, 03cobra rims, 255/40/17 Nitto 555's all around

Reply #1
How was the Mass Air conversion?easy?I am having a problem getting started.A little nervous I suppose.The engine looks great.Nice work.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #2
so freakin CLEAN!!! NICE WORK MAN WOW NICE
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]5.0 Standard
REBUILT MUSTANG AOD
Magnaflow mustang exhaust
BBK shorties
mark vii h pipe
BBK intake
KYB shocks , struts
moog springs

Reply #3
Quote from: vinnietbird;165919
How was the Mass Air conversion?easy?I am having a problem getting started.A little nervous I suppose.The engine looks great.Nice work.

Oh man it was extremely easy once I dug into it. I read up on the swap through CoolCats (thanks Eric!) and purchased the harness for 35 bucks through Interactive Systems and Technologies. It comes with the harness and terminals to insert into the computer harness connector. A few wires get spliced and soldered into existing ones but it's all very simple. Probably the most time consuming part (not really) is pulling the back seat to run the fuel pump monitor wire through to the relay in the trunk. But everything was very neat and she runs well with no codes. Now get to it! :D
88 Sport - 5.0HO, Mass Air, A9L, 73mm C&L meter, BBK CAI, 255 lph pump, 1.7 roller rockers,Professional Products damper, Chuck W motor mounts, BBK shorties & H-pipe, Flowmaster 40 series, 8.8 rear w/3.27's, 93 Cobra M/C, BAER 13in. drilled/slotted rotors front and back, cobra calipers, Russell braided brake lines front & back, C/C plates, 03cobra rims, 255/40/17 Nitto 555's all around

Reply #4
:iagree:

Super clean job!
The only thing you might want to consider in the near future is getting the air cleaner in the fender. Really no reason to suck hot air from the engine compartment.
Jegs sells an Nitrous works 5.0 125hp non-adjustable system for around $500.00. Others may know of better or cheaper systems.

Keep up the good work and post those time slips!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]88 t-bird: 5.0ho, gt40y, crane 2031, fms 1.7, paxton@5#, aod wide ratio, tci stall, performer rpm upper, 70mm bbk, pro m 60, 42#s, 3.73 7.5" posi, jba shorties, borla, upr x. 13.4 @ 104mph. cbaza, moates, tuned by decipha

Reply #5
Sweet looks good nice job
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1988 Mercury Cougar LS 5.0L AOD 2.73 :cougarsmily:
1993 F150 XLT 5.8L E4OD 3.55

Reply #6
yeah whats up with the hot air intake?  LOL

Nice job.  motor looks great.

Reply #7
Hello

I have done 5 mass air conversions over the years and it easy.

igiveup
86 ELAN t-bird all mustang parts (Sold)  I love this site.
85 bronco 2. Dura sparked (soon TBI) too many parts
1988 5.0 lx Stang (93 gt cobra mass air)
85 Honda 250sx trike
06 F150 tow rig. all kinds of goodies.(This is why I sold the Bird)
igiveup was the only name I could get. lol

Reply #8
i dont care for the fenderwell mount CAI. it a BITCH to get to the filter. stock airbox works just as good.
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]
5.0L/4R70W/8.8"/5-lug/3" Exhuast

Reply #9
O.K.,I'm doing it.I'll post when I get it done,and have my picture poster set up a couple of pics,before and after.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #10
Quote from: t.birdsc;165925
:iagree:

Super clean job!
The only thing you might want to consider in the near future is getting the air cleaner in the fender. Really no reason to suck hot air from the engine compartment.
Jegs sells an Nitrous works 5.0 125hp non-adjustable system for around $500.00. Others may know of better or cheaper systems.

Keep up the good work and post those time slips!

The Kit I purchased was intended to put the filter in the fenderwell but due to a difference from the stock meter and the C&L meter I couldn't get the pipe to line up correctly with the meter. Whereas the stock meter is slightly offset from inlet to outlet, the C&L is straight through. In all honesty I've been to lazy to mess with the air meter mount bracket and try to modify it slightly so that everything lines up. I suppose the bug will bite sometime soon enough to mess with it, right now im too busy enjoying it on the road. 
Quote from: 32VFoxBird;166614
i dont care for the fenderwell mount CAI. it a BITCH to get to the filter. stock airbox works just as good.

I agree....Im not too crazy about pulling my inner wheelwell out again...but like I said...I'll get my ass into gear one of these days.