Skip to main content
Topic: cobra intake manifold! (Read 915 times) previous topic - next topic

cobra intake manifold!

i just bought a upper 93 cobra intake manifold. i was just wondering if a 94/95 lower cobra intake manifold would work.
1988 LX coupe. a dressed up motor with full exhaust and BBK shorties with flowmasters, BBK CAI, accufab 65mm tb, HO upper intake, cobra valve covers.

cobra intake manifold!

Reply #1
Yes and exslpoder.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

cobra intake manifold!

Reply #2
You'll probably have to have the holes for the ACT sensor and the throttlebody spacer water line fitting drilled and tapped.I did.No big deal.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

cobra intake manifold!

Reply #3
Cobras don't have the spacer or the water line.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

cobra intake manifold!

Reply #4
Yep, just block off the fitting on the black tube that runs the length of the lower manifold. Just don't connect that water line in any way to your upper intake or there will be trouble. Throw it away!

cobra intake manifold!

Reply #5
can i get a picture of what your talking about? which tube?
1988 LX coupe. a dressed up motor with full exhaust and BBK shorties with flowmasters, BBK CAI, accufab 65mm tb, HO upper intake, cobra valve covers.

cobra intake manifold!

Reply #6
Look on your shiznit now you got a hose goin to your throttle body.in the middle.thats water. The ??'s you ask are simple.The mistakes you may make aren't.

cobra intake manifold!

Reply #7
I don't have a pic accessible and won't be able to get one for a while but here is the best description I can give.

Along the passenger side of the engine, connected to the top of the lower intake manifold is a black metal tube that flows coolant from the water pump to the heater. On top of that tube towards the front of the engine is a provision sticking up and a small rubber hose connecting that metal tube to the front of the spacer plate on the intake. Coming off the back of the spacer plate is another small black hose that connects to a provision in the back of the lower intake manifold.

When you put the cobra manifold on, you no longer use a spacer plate and no coolant runs through the upper manifold. Therefore you remove those two small rubber hoses completely. Block off the provision that the hose occupied on the black metal tube. If your new lower has the provision for the hose like your factory manifold, get a plug for it. I can't remember the exact size off hand. Since you're looking at a used lower, it may already have a plug there so you probably won't have to worry about it.

Sorry for the book, I'm at work and won't be getting home until after 10 so right now it's just easier to explain.

cobra intake manifold!

Reply #8
I have a set of explorer intakes I can get pice of. Just let me know what you wana see

cobra intake manifold!

Reply #9
oo so just block off the 2 hoses that go to the EGR spacer?

cobra intake manifold!

Reply #10
Almost. Sorry, I should have thought of this earlier.

1 marks the provision on the rear of the lower manifold. If there is a provision here on the cobra lower you get, remove it and put a plug in its place.

2 marks the provision on the black tube. Remove the hose and plug and cap that provision.

Don't just leave the hoses connected and cap the hoses themselves.

Let me know if you can't see this quick drawing I did. My computer is giving me a fit and I can't get it uploaded any larger.
X

cobra intake manifold!

Reply #11
ok, thanks!! i understand now!
where can i get the plugs from?