Skip to main content
Topic: upr x pipe and exhaust questions (Read 2500 times) previous topic - next topic

upr x pipe and exhaust questions

Hoping to get a upr x pipe.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=250143782930&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=015

Is anyone running this pipe? It was between this one and a mac prochamber, but cost seems to have won out. $100.00 vs. $275.00. The extra 175 saved can be used for some rockers or the rest of the exhaust. I can't imagine there being that much of a difference in performance between the two. :dunno:
Btw, the headers purchased are jba shorties, lers = borla xs's,
All that is left to get are flow tubes, clamps, hangers and tailpipes.
Any suggestions and advise are appreciated :D
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]88 t-bird: 5.0ho, gt40y, crane 2031, fms 1.7, paxton@5#, aod wide ratio, tci stall, performer rpm upper, 70mm bbk, pro m 60, 42#s, 3.73 7.5" posi, jba shorties, borla, upr x. 13.4 @ 104mph. cbaza, moates, tuned by decipha

Reply #1
if I didn't already have an X-Pipe,I'd buy it.You can crew a plug into the extra hole,and,I like the two piece design.Mine is like that,and makes installation a breeze.Your flow tubes will probably have to be lengthened a few inches.The Stang is shorter than our cars.That's easy stuff for any good ler shop.I'm also using Stang tailpipes,although they also had to be lengthened a little.Again,no big deal.A real dual exhaust will really be a lot better than that fake setup.A difference you'll actually be able to feel.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #2
Cool, sounds pretty straight forward. Pypes makes some good stuff as well. Looks like your mods are definately up to speed.
Which of these flow tubes would you go with?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-Pypes-2-5-79-93-Mustang-Flow-Tubes-s-SS_W0QQitemZ130067082369QQihZ003QQcategoryZ33630QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/86-93-MUSTANG-FLOWTUBES-2-1-2-INT-PIPES-W-S_W0QQitemZ330149597200QQihZ014QQcategoryZ33633QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Also the band style clamps might make a tight seal w/o crushing the pipes and make disassembly easy.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-5-Torctite-Stainless-Steel-Exhaust-Clamps-Clamp_W0QQitemZ120146773729QQihZ002QQcategoryZ33634QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]88 t-bird: 5.0ho, gt40y, crane 2031, fms 1.7, paxton@5#, aod wide ratio, tci stall, performer rpm upper, 70mm bbk, pro m 60, 42#s, 3.73 7.5" posi, jba shorties, borla, upr x. 13.4 @ 104mph. cbaza, moates, tuned by decipha

Reply #3
the pypes seem like a better deal. Those are the clamps i intend to use on my exhaust so let me know how they work
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

Reply #4
Pypes it is then. I'll post some pics of the stuff
 Thanks!

Reply #5
I like the flow tubes in the first pic.Less bends.As far as the clamps,I can't say.I had all of my pipes from the lers back welded.I am just that way.The flows are welded to my lers,and the X-Pipe is bolted in.Nice and solid.Some people prefer clamps,it's a matter of personal prefference.I love the Pypes x-Pipe,but the one you showed up top also looked fine.If you can get it for cheap,I'd go for it if it isn't damaged.Save some cash that way and have a few extra bucks for the flow tubes.Every dollar counts.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #6
The jba's look freak'n killer and are next to indestructible.  :evilgrin:     
There's a set that has been on my truck for 155k miles making the purchase of another set an easy choice.  ;)
 The stainless borla's look well made and another good choice. The only visible drawback is the 2.5" inlet pipe gets necked down right where it mates to the ler. No telling why they did that but you can kind of see it in the pic. Also they'd  probably be too quiet for Boss :hick: but maybe the jba's and the x pipe will wake them up. Hopefully the upr x pipe is as well made as these. I'll post more pics when the parts come and are getting installed.
 Thanks for the help
 Mike

Reply #7
never cared for the borla sound. my moms 04 cobra has some, i will say it sounds mean when its romped on, but down low theres not much sound. How much did those headers run you?
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)

Reply #8
Quote from: daboss351;164958
never cared for the borla sound. my moms 04 cobra has some, i will say it sounds mean when its romped on, but down low theres not much sound. How much did those headers run you?

Great deal, around $125-$150 used off ebay. They were recently coated, but it might not matter if header wrap is installed over them.  :eek:

They were tested at Anderson Ford Motorsport as being one of the quietest but better performing lers.

I agree they won't sound as good as a flowmaster or ultraflow, but the car isn't quick and most probably shouldn't sound like it :giggle: :giggle:

Reply #9
see im going for loud on my car, youll hear me coming for sure!
my $300 beater ;)

Reply #10
Quote from: daboss351;165257
see im going for loud on my car, youll hear me coming for sure!

The Mark? What are you going to put on it?

Reply #11
well its got the factory shortys, and i got a mac 2 1/2 h pipe used and it already has gutted cats. And i have a set of 2 1/2 inch tail pipes that i also got used. next will be 2 1/2 flow tubes, and most likely the flowmasters sitting in my bedroom that my dad gave me. They just need a little tlc one was cut off with a air chisel... one has about 600 miles on it the other was started and ran once. I think it will be quite nice sounding!
my $300 beater ;)

Reply #12
Are the flowmasters 2 chambers?

Reply #13
yep super 40s!! did i say i only have 90 bucks in my whole system so far! 40 for the h pipe 50 for the tails, and thats shipped to my door!
my $300 beater ;)

Reply #14
" I only have 90 bucks in my whole system so far! " 

Now that's a good deal!

" see im going loud on my car, youll hear me coming for sure "

Lol I may even hear ya down in New Orleans! Just don't break the levees!