Skip to main content
Topic: Consoles - this might be a dumb question (Read 1306 times) previous topic - next topic

Consoles - this might be a dumb question

I haven't done a thorough search yet and I'm getting ready to leave for a junkyard run....

Will the consoles interchange from year to year? There's an 87 or 88 Cougar in one of the yards I'm visiting today and and it's a blue exterior.  I was originally going to check and see if it's an 8.8 rear end but it just occured to me that it may have a console/seats in it that would match my 86 interior.

Reply #1
IIRC, 83-4 is unique, then 85-8 will work

Reply #2
A 87 88 console will work in your 86, but it will not be correct.  An 86 would have came with a full length console.. the later cars came with a shorter version..  Yes it will work just fine.. Go ahead and do it.. very much worth it.
One 88

Reply #3
83-4 will work as well, with minor modifications. I've got an '83 Cougar console in my 88 Thunderbird. You'd need the dash and trim parts from an 85-8 tho...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #4
Thanks for the quick responses. Off to the yard now... let's see if I get lucky.

Reply #5
if not let me know i have a console in raven that i am looking to get rid of
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

Reply #6
No love at either yard. everything was consolette. Interiors were right colors in both cougars too... :(

Check your PMs daboss351.

Reply #7
pmed back
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

Reply #8
ok since you guys are on the subject of consoles, i just insalled mine today, and the tings doesnt fit 100% right.  in the back of the console it jsut doesnt bolt down to the floor right, i had to kind of make it work, and it doesnt hold the best.  any body else ran into this problem?  i think i can fabricate a braket that works, jsut wondering if there is a solution someone else has come up with for the same issue.  also doesnt help that i dont have the front bracket cause i put in a B&M shifter.

Reply #9
Under the console bucket where the two screws go through the bottom there is a bracket that stands about 1/2" tall to support the bottom of the console.  Without it the console is pulled to close the floor and causes fitment issues you describe.

Another thing, Fox consoles SUCK!!!  Very poor and flimsy.  But yes we all want it.. its why I have 6 consoles waiting for the future.
One 88

Reply #10
well, i know there is that one in the middle that it bolts to, and thats great there, but there is supposed to be one in the back too?  yeah, im starting to see Fox consoles suck.  part of the one i got is broken, and now this fitment thing, the lid latch is kinda messed up,   just want it to work right.  i guess i set my stanards too high since im a mechanic at a Lincoln dealer.  im so used to working on nice new and quality luxury cars.  then again, some of these new cars i question how the engineer got away with making it the way they did, some stuff is just so stupid...