Skip to main content
Topic: Cat won't start or stay running (Read 1841 times) previous topic - next topic

Cat won't start or stay running

The car tries to start but won't, and if it does it dies. We cut off the catalytic converter since it turned bright orange but still didn't start with out it.  We think it may be off on its timing, if the timing chain has came loose? Also it kind of acts like it isn't getting fuel, but we have a new fuel filter on there, could it be the fuel pump?  What do you guys think?

Reply #1
Check the fuel pump relay in the trunk I just went through this with my 92 Mark VII changed the pump to find out it wasnt it. On the mark it was right near the rear driver side tire.
:ford::oldcougar::mercury:

Reply #2
Glowing exhaust parts indicate a lean codition.....Have you run any codes?
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #3
"Hey, that cat is getting hot?"

"What? Well cut that ****ing thing off then!"

lol
11.96 @ 118 MPH old 306 KB; 428W coming soon.

Reply #4
Quote from: rw289;163500
The car tries to start but won't, and if it does it dies. We cut off the catalytic converter since it turned bright orange but still didn't start with out it.  We think it may be off on its timing, if the timing chain has came loose? Also it kind of acts like it isn't getting fuel, but we have a new fuel filter on there, could it be the fuel pump?  What do you guys think?

ok,,,so

check for real blue spark,,(not orange)

check for 40 psi fuel presure at the shradder valve.

after that, check the codes.,, (look in my DIY link for instructions on pulling codes with each code listed)

Reply #5
Well we are going to check the codes sometime, but my dad is pretty sure it is the fuel pump. So we are changing that tonight and we will see how that goes.

Reply #6
so you're going to change the fuel pump without checking the fuel pressure 1st?!
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]
5.0L/4R70W/8.8"/5-lug/3" Exhuast

Reply #8
The Schrader valve is on the fuel line - look for it while on passenger side of vehicle near alternator.
11.96 @ 118 MPH old 306 KB; 428W coming soon.

Reply #9
my car wont start either,, i think a piston is sticking so im gonna change one out and see if that helps:D :flame:

seriously,, set higher standards for yourself and diagnose and troubleshoot before you shotgun parts.  "i think" aint gonna cut it 95% of the time without evidence to support your thoughts.  Spending money wisely is also the reward in getting a little smarter on cars in general.

Reply #10
as far as the pump goes,, if your presure is low but you hear the sound,,,,, its likely the 3'' long rubber line on the pump assembly is cracked.

just jumper the fuel pump wire on the eec test connector and make the pump run for test purposes so you dont have to crank or keep flipping the switch back and forth.

first find out if you have presure,,,, connect a jumper wire from the tan/light green wire to ground and turn your key forward only.  your fuel pump will stay running for presure testing or to assist you to empty the tank out so its not so heavy.

Reply #11
Ok, we tested the pressure and it was 0!! So we went ahead and took the fuel pump off and when we took the lines off the pump there was no pressure built up.  So we will go ahead and change that tonight.

Reply #12
Owch, Hope that goes well for you guys.

I'm biting my fingernails at the thought, Hoping that's not what the problem with mine is.
~Project ThunderStorm = '84 Charcoal Thunderbird - First Car - Long Time Work in Progress~
~Project (No Name Yet) = 1970 Plymouth GTX/RR "Clone"~

Reply #13
Quote from: rw289;164893
Ok, we tested the pressure and it was 0!! So we went ahead and took the fuel pump off and when we took the lines off the pump there was no pressure built up.  So we will go ahead and change that tonight.

oooookkkkkkk,,,,,,but

there is a relay in the trunk usually along the pass side way back near the trunk lid hinge.

the tan light green wire is suppose to get a ground from the eec.  this wire also appears up at your eec test connector.  Ground out this wire and turn on your key. You should hear the relay click and hear the pump running.  If its not running,,

then,,,,,,

got back to the trunk again and along the driverside tail light area there is a fuel pump reset switch.  there is a button on top and if you push on the button and it resets,,, you just found your problem.  This thing will trip if there has been a rear impact of some degree or the car has been handled ruff or just been bumped ect.

otherwise if the pump is not runing, you need to verify its getting power.  If its not getting power,, replace the relay ,,, check for a break in that wire,,,, or an open wire,,,, or next is swap the EEC,,, or at worst change the pump.

check that relay and the safety fuel cut off switch.

Zero fuel presue is kind of odd,, not having a single drop is wiered but it does happen.  If the pump is binding,, then bang on the tank with a hammer while someone cranks,, recheck to see if you now have some fuel up at the shradder valve.  if you do ,, then yeah, the pump is binding up and aint spining.

having no presure up at the test connector does not immediatly warrant a fuel pump change.  Now that you "KNOW" there is no presure, you have to find out if power is getting to the pump. 

so,,,,,, ground out the tan light green wire up at the eec test conn or at the fuel pump relay,,,,, turn on the key,, if you hear the relay click,, then power is dilevered through the safety cut off switch, through the relay coil and to ground via the eec.  The contacts will now close and deliver power from a hot at all time yellow wire , out through a pink wire to the fuel pump which will make it run.
now its time to verify power.

Reply #14
Thanks jcassity, I wish I knew this information before I took the pump ahead off of the car...but we will see how it goes.  The fuel pump has never been changed on the car so yeah... we will see...Thanks though!!