Skip to main content
Topic: holley or trick flow kits? (Read 1222 times) previous topic - next topic

holley or trick flow kits?

which top end kit have you heard the best from?
i like holley, but trickflows heads are better, but the holley has a hotter cam and better intake manidold, but trickflow comes with 1.6 roller rockers and holley doesnt. the holley is also $200 more.
1988 LX coupe. a dressed up motor with full exhaust and BBK shorties with flowmasters, BBK CAI, accufab 65mm tb, HO upper intake, cobra valve covers.

Reply #2
^^^what he said^^^
louie  :birdsmily:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]       
My famous last words:
It seemed like a good idea at the time.        88TC R.I.P.      88 Sport build in progress

Reply #3
:iagree:

If the Holley heads valve geometry isn't set up right they have a tendency to wear the guides and consume oil. Edelbrock Performer RPM heads are pretty much bolt it on and forget it.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #4
Tfs Ftw!
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]
5.0L/4R70W/8.8"/5-lug/3" Exhuast

Reply #5
I ported a set of early TFS heads long ago, and they wore out the guides after about 200 miles. Sent back to TFS, guides replaced, and 200 miles later they were gone again.
I've never liked messing with TFS stuff since...
I hate the Edelbrock carburetors, but their heads and intakes are fantastic.

Reply #6
I'd go TFS...

Trick Flow fixed the valve guide issue many years ago... Been running mine since late '99... When I repl the springs in '03, guides were still perfect...

I'd run away from anything with a bolt down rocker... And be sure the geometry is correct no matter what head you use... The correct push rod for the TFs is approx 1/2" longer than stock... I have early 289/302 PRs in mine...

Reply #7
I would say any kit would be good, just go with the best deal. I have had my Performer 5.0 heads for many years with no issues. Just my opinion.

Reply #8
I have heard nothing but good things about the Edelbrock set-ups. They have improved the flow of the heads fairly recently too.

Personally I have a set of AFR165's with bolt-down 1.7 RR's and a steep-ramp XE270HR-12 cam from Comp w/ a good set of springs (stock AFR springs can't handle an XE grind) - I see no issue running bolt-down rockers unless you are going to be running 500# springs.
11.96 @ 118 MPH old 306 KB; 428W coming soon.

Reply #9
My springs have 450# open pressure, but I'm running Jesel shaft rockers.
I too would be very cautious with any bolt-down rockers.

Reply #10
Oh C'mon! The guy is going with a bolt-on kit with a cam that is milder than mine!!

I am easily revving to 6200 RPM with 145# closed, 330# open spring pressures (it's the closed pressure that is critical here.)

My Cougar does 11's with those springs and very steep ramp-rate cam (+ 1.7 RR's) and 0.550" lift - did the guy say he was going all-out drag race with a .600 lift cam revved to 7000 RPM? Not everyone is building a drag-strip oriented car - be realistic here!
11.96 @ 118 MPH old 306 KB; 428W coming soon.

Reply #11
i dont understand when you say 145# open spring pressure and 330# closed spring pressure. wouldnt the kits just come with all the stuff i need? i dont need a cam to wild because im getting a turbo later on in the future.
1988 LX coupe. a dressed up motor with full exhaust and BBK shorties with flowmasters, BBK CAI, accufab 65mm tb, HO upper intake, cobra valve covers.