Skip to main content
Topic: Intermittant miss (Read 827 times) previous topic - next topic

Intermittant miss

I just put in a new turbo (T3) in my '83 turbo coupe.  Since then it has an intermittant miss.  When the engine is cold, it runs perfect but when it reaches operating temp, the miss shows up.  It loses power and back fires but never stalls.  If I stomp on the gas to kick in the turbo the miss clears up...then reappears again.  It's getting terrible gas mileage and the tail pipe is black.
It idles perfectly all the time.
I have replaced:
TPS, distributer cap, rotor, spark plug wires, sparkplugs, temp. sensor

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
beej8508
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
'85 Cougar XR 7
'85 Fila
'24 Model T speedster
'14 Model T Depot Hack

Intermittant miss

Reply #1
now that you got about 150 bux in parts,, not to mention labor,,,,,,,,,
what are the codes?

Intermittant miss

Reply #2
Coil maybe?

Intermittant miss

Reply #3
It is running way rich... I'm not familiar with the turbo's, but I would start looking at vaspooge lines and your map sensor.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Intermittant miss

Reply #4
Koeo/koer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
One 88

Intermittant miss

Reply #5
Quote from: CougarSE;162648
Koeo/koer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the 2 words i fear the most :)

OOOH!!!  I'm a Eco Hypermiler :burnout: Not bad for 79mph on the interstate 2hours a day

turbo

Reply #6
Koeo/koer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!

Hunh?

Will get codes tomorrow
beej8508
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
'85 Cougar XR 7
'85 Fila
'24 Model T speedster
'14 Model T Depot Hack