Skip to main content
Topic: Finally got pics of my 88TC (Read 5567 times) previous topic - next topic

Finally got pics of my 88TC

It was nice this weekend so I thought I'd get out my new 88TC.  I bought it in December and haven't driven it much since.  The 2.3 in it is insane!  It has about 90K miles (the guages aren't original) and is really clean.  The engine has been rebuilt with hardened crank, forged crower rods with forged pistons (diamond, i think).  Has ported head with big SS valves. 65mm TB, Motorsports A237 cam with adjustable pully.  Aluminum oil pan and a windage tray.  Aluminum flywheel with a race clutch.  Stock T-5 with steeda tri-ax shifter.  On the other end of the ported e6 manifold sits a turbonetics t3/t4 hybrid and 3" exhaust all the way back.  The car has an eec-tuner and has a 90mm MAF with 55# delphi injectors.  I'm sure i've forgot some of it, but I have all the receipts from when the previous owner bought the car.  The thing is a blast to drive!  It's hard to get traction in first, second and sometimes third.  It's never been dyno'd or to a track, but I would guess around 300rwhp right now. The car needs a better intercooler.  I plan on getting a big front mount or AWIC before spring so i can crank the boost up to 25psi (it's 18 right now).  I also needs a header panel and tail light  Here are the pics.

Re: Finally got pics of my 88TC

Reply #1
300rwhp? that is pretty impressive, any idea what that would run in the 1/4?
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #2
300 is a bit generous, especailly on 18psi

definatly a nice ride regardless, i love my TC and its bone stock, i know you must be having a blast!
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #3
Thanks for the comments.

I really have no idea about the 1/4 times, probably somewhere in the 13's.  I was messing around on the back roads with my buddy who was driving an '04 GTO and he couldn't keep up.  Those are , i think, 350 hp at the crank, but a heavier car.  I think 300 is about right.  I can't wait untill it warms up and take the car to the drag strip!

Nick

Reply #4
300 at the flywheel maybe, but get her to the track, so we dont have to play guessing games :p
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #5
Nice buy, 300 ponies out of any four cylinder is inpresive. Nice car dude. :)

Reply #6
I dunno man,either your buddy don't know what he was doin or he was playin with ya.
The gto should have been able to keep up with you for sure.It is a mid 13 sec car with the right traction.
Now don't get me wrong you got a nice TC there but i think tbird232ci is right i think 300hp on 18psi is a bit generous.

Reply #7
Yea you guys are right, I really would like to know how much power this thing acually makes.  It just sucks i have to wait untill spring to get 'er to the track.  My goal by the end of summer is to break into the  12's.  Probably will require some N20 though. :evilgrin: 

Nick

Reply #8
wasnt that turbo coupe on ebay awhile back?
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Reply #9
nice car

tri-axe is great isnt it!!!

get it dynoed before you go spitting out numbers... just looks bad otherwise, and 300 is a magical number that eludes even some of the more built motors around here. Im gonna say we start a RWHP pool for that car, Im going with 260RWHP...

Reply #10
With that intercooler your not making 300 horse at 18 psi.  Get a big front mount and you probly could on 18 psi

Has the car been lowered?  What kinda suspension is that torpedo riding on?
One 88

Reply #11
The suspension is stock, the springs are for a mustang (not sure what year or hight).  It rides nice and rough, but tends to se on just about everything.  The shifter is a lot better than stock!

This sucks, for the only two days I've had the car out in a month, i get pulled over two different times, in two different towns and got a  "no front licence plate" ticket. In my '86TC, I haven't had a plate on there for a year and havent heard anything about it!  The cops dont like this car.

Nick

Reply #12
cops dont like my 87's either, cops will pull out behind me and follow me hoping i go over the speed limit
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #13
RWHP pool? I got about 100.

Reply #14
Naah, no need to go to a track or a dyno. Just stick a phallic title under your name, (where it comes up on each post) drop all sorts of inappropriate hints about your shagual prowess, and loudly proclaim that your vehicle is the baddest in the land. It won't cost you anything.. not even gas money! :ies:

Seriously, tho.. looks good. (except for that taillight) If my '86 s out on me, maybe I'll track down a TC. The look is growing on me.. although some here would probably shoot me for what I'd wanna do to it.. (among other reasons) :p