Skip to main content
Topic: High idle (Read 807 times) previous topic - next topic

High idle

When I start my 86 TC it idles at 2500+ rpm.  Its been getting worse the last couple months.  I did a little investigating this afternoon and I may have found the problem.

On the top of the drivers side of the engine I see what I think is the fuel pressure regulator.  By the new look of it the PO must have installed it within the last year.  It has a hose with a hairpin clip going into the top of it.  I think it is a vaspoogee line, the other end of the hose goes under the cover at the top of the firewall.

I was looking under the hood while the car was running and touched the hose to make sure it was tightly fitted, as soon as I slightly moved the hose, fuel poured out of it.

I turned off the car, removed the hairpin clip and removed the hose, alot of fuel ran out of it.

Is this the fuel pressure regulator?

Is that a vaspoogee line coming out of the top of it?

If it is a vaspoogee line, why does it fit so loosely, and why is it secured with a hairpin clip?

Is this the cause of my high idle?

Do I need to replace the vaspoogee line also?  If so, do I need a oem replacement, or just a length of the right size vaspoogee line?

Alot of questions, but Ive never had any fuel problems on a FI car, so I have no idea what Im doing here.

High idle

Reply #1
Does it look like item #2 on the right side of this pic?

http://www.autozone.com/images/cds/gif/large/0900823d8014e3cd.gif

That's the regulator, and there should be no fuel coming out if it. If there's an internal leak due to a ruptured diaphragm, the extra fuel gets sucked up into the vacuum hose, and eventually makes its way back to the intake manifold, and makes the mixture way too rich. Any clouds of black smoke coming out of the exhaust?
Death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth.

1988 5.0 Bird, mostly stock, partly not, now gone to T-Bird heaven.
1990 Volvo 740GL. 114 tire-shredding horsies, baby!

High idle

Reply #2
you need to get that fixed,, last thing you need is the fuel to circulate back to the oil pan which im sure it already has.  this just thins out your oil and wears out bearings and such.