Skip to main content
Topic: zero gap rings (Read 1368 times) previous topic - next topic

zero gap rings

what do you think? are they worth the extra money? i know the svo at the shop has them.it makes 350 hp but i still see 350 hp with regular rings. the reason i'm asking is cause the turbo motor is coming out soon to freshen up  and i'm cloning the mods to the svo motor cept for the turbo. i'll be using the t3 off the svo. and it has a t3/04 hybrid.
louie  :birdsmily:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]       
My famous last words:
It seemed like a good idea at the time.        88TC R.I.P.      88 Sport build in progress

zero gap rings

Reply #1
No....don't use the gapless rings in a turbo application.

The SVO may have them, but don't use them.

Total Seal doesn't recommend them any more for higher boost applications and my old motor in the '83 was killed because of gapless rings.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

zero gap rings

Reply #2
thank you chuck that was what i wanted to know>
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]       
My famous last words:
It seemed like a good idea at the time.        88TC R.I.P.      88 Sport build in progress

zero gap rings

Reply #3
how did the gapless rings kill your motor?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]       
My famous last words:

zero gap rings

Reply #4
Quote from: dudeman351;160904

yeah, like on my 3.8 ,  i checked the bore using a stock new ring positioned at the top, middle and bottom.  A stock ring came up with .030 average. 

i got oversize rings and filed till all three positions were under .010.  THis has been a while back but i believe i had to get metric for some odd reason,,dono why.

i should've done the same to my 306 but the bores/pistons are already .040 and finding 040 over is expensive enough.

zero gap rings

Reply #5
Quote from: Chuck W;160900
No....don't use the gapless rings in a turbo application.

The SVO may have them, but don't use them.

Total Seal doesn't recommend them any more for higher boost applications and my old motor in the '83 was killed because of gapless rings.

X2

heard horrer stories

i used the e441k sealed power ring set
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication

zero gap rings

Reply #6
Quote from: dudeman351;160904

They can't handle the boost and they will just shatter.

Mine came out in 12-15 pieces....and took out the cylinder wall with them.

zero gap rings

Reply #7
I suspect its a deal where the heat from the boost causes the rings to expand to the point of binding, and they dig into the cylinder wall and break...

zero gap rings

Reply #8
Quote from: TurboCoupe50;160978
I suspect its a deal where the heat from the boost causes the rings to expand to the point of binding, and they dig into the cylinder wall and break...

that seems logical.  I guess i gotta be careful with that 3.8 on the garage floor,, i know how much boost that thing can make:D

are gapless rings for the most part ok in a non turbo application?

zero gap rings

Reply #9
I dunno - I used them in one rebuild and they would not seal and I blew-by about 1 qt of oil every 200 miles. I suppose they are OK if they seal up, but I don't think they are worth the extra money.
11.96 @ 118 MPH old 306 KB; 428W coming soon.

zero gap rings

Reply #10
Most of the problems I've seen from oil use have resulted from improper installation (dipping pistons in oil, etc).

zero gap rings

Reply #11
That's true, but are they worth the extra money? Do they really provide enough extra performance to warrant the more precise cylinder finish and cost? ( I was told I didn't have the cylinder finish they require - WTF? ) ( I would never dip a piston in oil )
11.96 @ 118 MPH old 306 KB; 428W coming soon.

zero gap rings

Reply #12
Quote from: TurboCoupe50;160978

Yup