Skip to main content
Topic: Confused about parking brake cable names (Read 1496 times) previous topic - next topic

Confused about parking brake cable names

I was looking at parking brake cables at rockauto.com but I'm confused because every brand names each piece differently.  I have an 88 TC (idk why they even list rear drum) and I'm looking to replace all cables, front to rear (and then mod at the rear to work with the lincoln calipers).  Would someone be able to help me out?  I don't know what they look like or what they should be called and I don't want to order the wrong parts.

Also, while I'm at it:  what are the other parts of the system?  My cables haven't been connected in a while and now I'm wondering if I have all the right springs and all to make sure everything engages and disengages properly.
1988 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
'89 5.0 w/ ported intakes, Mallory Adjustable FPR, BBK shorties and H with 2.5" Flows, 130 amp 3G, 89 Mustang comp/wiring, Aluminum radiator w/ elec fan, T5 trans, King Cobra clutch, 3.55 gears, 13" Cobra brakes (front), Wilwood prop valve, Mustang A-arms, Front Coil-overs, MM CC plates, Silver 17x9 R's, 03 Cobra IRS, Aluminum DS, 2002 Mustang dash/console etc..., custom leather seats

Reply #1
I know at work they are listed like this.
Front= the cable the hooks to the E-brake pedal.
Intermediate= the center cable that hooks to the front and both rears
Rear cables=the cable that runs from the wheel to the center/intermediate cable.

Hope that helps you out. I computer doesn't know what a turbo coupe has it just shows you all options for drum and disc.
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

Reply #2
Cables at http://www.napaonline.com :

Parking Brake Cable - Right Rear
Item#: UP 93638
Price: $27.49
Length:107 1/2"
Conduit Length:91 3/4"

Parking Brake Cable - Left Rear
Item#: UP 93634
Length:70 3/8"
Conduit Length:65 15/16"

Parking Brake Cable - Front
Item#: UP 93658
Price: $17.49
Length:44"
Conduit Length:27 5/8"

Parking Brake Cable - Intermediate
Item#: UP 93236
Price: $26.49
Length:48 1/2"

There are two other major brackets. One is the brake equalizer, a triangular-shaped, slotted bracket that joins the intermediate, left rear, and right rear cables together. On one of the cables is a tensioner spring. The other is a lever that's pinned to the post under the driver's seat, presumably to keep the cables from hanging too low.

Reply #3
Ok, thanks guys!  I'll try to come back after I get it all and add anything I learned...
1988 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
'89 5.0 w/ ported intakes, Mallory Adjustable FPR, BBK shorties and H with 2.5" Flows, 130 amp 3G, 89 Mustang comp/wiring, Aluminum radiator w/ elec fan, T5 trans, King Cobra clutch, 3.55 gears, 13" Cobra brakes (front), Wilwood prop valve, Mustang A-arms, Front Coil-overs, MM CC plates, Silver 17x9 R's, 03 Cobra IRS, Aluminum DS, 2002 Mustang dash/console etc..., custom leather seats

Brake Cable Equalizer ASSY 2A606

Reply #4
Quote from: EricCoolCats;161634
Cables at http://www.napaonline.com :

Parking Brake Cable - Right Rear
Item#: UP 93638
Length:107 1/2"
Conduit Length:91 3/4"

Parking Brake Cable - Left Rear
Item#: UP 93634
Length:70 3/8"
Conduit Length:65 15/16"

Parking Brake Cable - Front
Item#: UP 93658
Price: $17.49
Length:44"
Conduit Length:27 5/8"

Parking Brake Cable - Intermediate
Item#: UP 93236
Price: $26.49
Length:48 1/2"

There are two other major brackets. One is the brake equalizer, a triangular-shaped, slotted bracket that joins the intermediate, left rear, and right rear cables together. On one of the cables is a tensioner spring. The other is a lever that's pinned to the post under the driver's seat, presumably to keep the cables from hanging too low.

Sorry to bring up an old thread but I searched first, found this, and figured my question is fairly in line with this thread so...

Anyone know where I can get an equalizer?  It's listed as:
cable equalizer
1988 Car Shop Manual Vol. B
page 12-70-5
Fig. 7
View L
ASSY 2A606

How does this assembly number correspond to a part number?  My equalizer is fine but it looks as though the cable that was running through it is part of the assembly and that's what broke on my car (pictured on kitchen floor).  Napa and Advance don't even know what I'm talking about and neither did the Ford dealership.  I think the Ford dealership started to understand but then quickly dismissed it as a discontinued part which considering Ford's interest in customers with older cars, could very likely be the case.  The other equalizer pictured here has an intact cable running through it.
"lol.. because not too many people care for that style of car"
[size=-2]Click on paw print \/[/size]

Reply #5
It's rusty but the cable comes out of it. It slips out the top theirs a bigger hole up where the pic doesn't show.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #6
Quote from: Kitz Kat;269374
It's rusty but the cable comes out of it. It slips out the top theirs a bigger hole up where the pic doesn't show.

The cable that broke is the one with the adjusting nut and threads on one end and a stop crimped on the other.  It seems to "S" through the equalizer and the channel through which it runs looks too small to fish either end in first.  I added pictures to my post to clarify.
"lol.. because not too many people care for that style of car"
[size=-2]Click on paw print \/[/size]