Skip to main content
Topic: for those using aftermarket inline fuel pumps (Read 1780 times) previous topic - next topic

for those using aftermarket inline fuel pumps

i ditched the fuel cell, and im going to use the stock tank again, and probably an aeromotive a1000 pump. can the stang aftermarket pickup tube be modified to work in an 88 tank, or is sumping the stock tank my only other solution?

1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]
5.0L/4R70W/8.8"/5-lug/3" Exhuast

Reply #1
That is a very nice looking unit there but I don't know if it works in a t-bird.

I will tell you that I made one almost like this but there is a problems.  When you have less than a 1/2 tank of gas the fuel all goes to the rear and leaves the pick-up.

So if you can sump the stock tank you will be money ahead because if you have enough power you will have to do it anyway.

If you do the sump please post (if you don't blow yourself up) the results, costs etc.  Also post all the parts you needed to do this and get fuel to the front.

I'm going to have to do this and would like to learn.  I'm at a complete lost how you do a good quality fuel system that will hold up to track use and not spend a mint to do so.  Maybe you can't.

TED

Reply #2
I be curious to know, too.  I'm in the same trunk, ....uhm.....er.....boat.
1987 TC

Reply #3
they are differant diameters

if your good at brazing you can make your own out of the stock one. i have one floating around the house i put dual 1/2 pickups in.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication

Reply #4
Quote from: SLEEPER T-BIRD 87;160457
they are differant diameters

if your good at brazing you can make your own out of the stock one. i have one floating around the house i put dual 1/2 pickups in.

do you have any pics of it?
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]

Reply #5
why wouldnt older carb'd vehicles setup work?  i dont think those were side access.

Reply #6
what do you mean by "side access"? mine comes out from the top of the tank. does a carb'd bird tank fit in an '88?
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]

Reply #7
side access as in like a dodge daytona mid / early 80's ect where the FP  is on the side so you dont have to drop the tank for fp removal.

There are a few tanks down in my JY and a couple are marked Linc / Ltd / galaxy ect.

I was asking you if you knew how the carb'd vehicles were setup cause what i saw, the pickup was on top for those i glanced at.

I really would not know if the tanks fit or not but it is a curious question.  personally, i would rather fit in the hardware than tank swap.  whole tank introduces more room for extended modificaitons.

Reply #8
well, i know the stang tanks are different, but i have no clue about older cfi/carb'd birds.
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]

Reply #9
what i did with mine was remove the pump and ran rubber fuel line to etend to the bottom of the tank works fine
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #10
Quote from: 32VFoxBird;179343
well, i know the stang tanks are different, but i have no clue about older cfi/carb'd birds.

I would just have your tank sumped.I was reading my A1000 booklet today and the pump has to be gravity fed

http://www.jegs.com/InstallationInstructions/0/027/027-11101.pdf
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication