Skip to main content
Topic: Belt tensioner movement (Read 969 times) previous topic - next topic

Belt tensioner movement

Today I turned on the A/C right after starting the car and heard a lot of noise from under the hood. Popping the hood, the belt tensioner was sliding up and down the belt quite a bit (never seen it really move before, except manually when installing a belt), making a popping noise. Turning the A/C off, it stopped. On, it instantly starts its movement again. Is this normal? Does it just need to be oiled somehow, or is the a/c compressor even supposed to be putting on such an odd load? Need ideas or solutions!

I will note that occasionally a heard a pop here and there, but found it to be the tensioner before (hose to ear and around engine bay). It was very rapid today though, and loud.
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Belt tensioner movement

Reply #1
Guessing the tensioner(not the pulley) is binding internally... Have a friend whose Chrysler mini van had that problem...

The shop he took it to said it was the timing chain...

Verify smooth operation by removing the belt and move it through it's travel...

Belt tensioner movement

Reply #2
Also, this is NOT a TC as my avatar seems to say, Sport here. You mean the timing chain was near the belt tensioner, so the sound was coming just from that general area? I have no idea where its at on the 2.3.
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Belt tensioner movement

Reply #3
Quote from: Seek;160216
Also, this is NOT a TC as my avatar seems to say, Sport here. You mean the timing chain was near the belt tensioner, so the sound was coming just from that general area? I have no idea where its at on the 2.3.

Doesn't make a difference as to what engine... It was kinda hard to tell on the van(3.3 v6)as it has the east/west engine... When we tried to move the tensioner it wouldn't budge, but was jumping with the AC on... Finally with a big breaker bar we moved it enough to get the belt off...

If it's not the tensioner then maybe some problem with the compressor, but I doubt it...

Belt tensioner movement

Reply #4
Oh, I know. I was just trying to figure out the Chrysler scenario, what the tensioner vs timing chain thing was. Are they near each other or something?

I'll pull the belt off, but I've never had too much of a problem getting the belt off. All I know is the tensioner is doing something odd. Is there a spot to grease the things?
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Belt tensioner movement

Reply #5
the tensioner on the 5.0 is just a big spring with a berring and a wheel. Mine never seized, but it broke on me twice...
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Belt tensioner movement

Reply #6
replace the tensioner and all should be well.
louie  :birdsmily:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]       
My famous last words:
It seemed like a good idea at the time.        88TC R.I.P.      88 Sport build in progress

Belt tensioner movement

Reply #7
If the belt is still tight and the tensioner doesn't feel weaker than the last time you had the belt off, I vote for a binding AC compressor causing the belt to stretch a bit then snap back when the compressor gets "over the hump".

Do you have room to get a socket wrench on the compressor's pulley bolt, to try spinning it by hand?
Death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth.

1988 5.0 Bird, mostly stock, partly not, now gone to T-Bird heaven.
1990 Volvo 740GL. 114 tire-shredding horsies, baby!