Skip to main content
Topic: My first run, time for some upgrades! (Read 2212 times) previous topic - next topic

My first run, time for some upgrades!

Well in case u were wondering what a bone stock, used to be owned by an 80yr old man 87 LX 3.8 runs in the 1/4 here it is:
R/T....  .874 (yeah i know horrible)
60'....  2.732
1/4...  19.084
MPH... 72.40

HAHAHAHA what a slug, it's getting the cat eliminated this sunday and a y split into duals with Cherry Bomb turbo lers. I'm hoping to crack into the mid 18's :D

Oh I raced against my buddy in his bone stock 82 Malibu. The T-bird laid waste to it. Go Ford!!!Here's his times
R/T...  1.033 (yeah, its his first time)
60'....  3.404
1/4....  22.919
MPH...  59.55
79 Monte Carlo Landau--350/TH350 2K stall, 7.5 posi/3.73's...built with other people's "junk"
87 Thunderbird LX--3.8/AOD: stock DD:down and out with a blown motor (sucky esshag engines)
69 Impala 4dr Hardtop--327/glide: stock, parked and left for dead
84 Thunderbird LX--new project: donating it's engine to the 87 and then getting a v8 of a different kind???

Reply #1
well at least now we know how slow 3.8L's are.  LOL.

Reply #2
Need slip for Top 25!! You're the #1 6-banger! Woooooot!

Reply #3
I was there last night and saw you and your friend at the track. I saw the car and how clean it was. It's all about having fun.
Jim

Reply #4
Quote from: Aerobird Motorsports;159099
Need slip for Top 25!! You're the #1 6-banger! Woooooot!

Not likely to get bumped soon... :hick:

Quote from: 87BlueBird;159087

Oh I raced against my buddy in his bone stock 82 Malibu. The T-bird laid waste to it. Go Ford!!!Here's his times
R/T...  1.033 (yeah, its his first time)
60'....  3.404
1/4....  22.919
MPH...  59.55

Now thats just pathetic...:shakehead Can't even make 60mph in the quarter...

Reply #5
I bet the 88's would be considerably faster.
One 88

Reply #6
Mine felt faster then that before I swapped the 5.0L in, but I never baselined it.  felt like it could have turned a low 18 - high 17 stock.

Reply #7
Oh what the hey, it's not like anybody will dispute it :hick:

You're now the #1 6-cyl car!! Woot! :D

Reply #8
Put some decent tires on it, empty the trunk, and go to the track with 1/4 tank of gas.  Also drop your tire pressure to about 22-24 PSI and see what happens.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #9
Well if it is hooking at that pressure keep it there, When I dropped the pressure in my stang I lost 2 tenths of a second and it still spun hard.  Radials work best at street pressure.

But do everything else Paul said.

Reply #10
Quote from: V8Demon;160379
Put some decent tires on it, empty the trunk, and go to the track with 1/4 tank of gas.  Also drop your tire pressure to about 22-24 PSI and see what happens.

Lol, I ran it with the tires the old man had on it. Some junky, off brand 205/70's. I did a nice little pegleg burnout in the water box; didn't really have any wheel spin that i could tell from the line.
Now my Monte Carlo, that's a different story. 275/60's out back and it spins like a mother with it's stock pegleg, 2.29 gears!!! I just bought a posi rear for it completely rebuilt with richmond 3.73's, Eaton Posi, ARP wheel studs, so any upgrades for the bird are completely out of my budget.
Right now I'm more interested in breaking into the 13's instead of 18's :D
79 Monte Carlo Landau--350/TH350 2K stall, 7.5 posi/3.73's...built with other people's "junk"
87 Thunderbird LX--3.8/AOD: stock DD:down and out with a blown motor (sucky esshag engines)
69 Impala 4dr Hardtop--327/glide: stock, parked and left for dead
84 Thunderbird LX--new project: donating it's engine to the 87 and then getting a v8 of a different kind???