Skip to main content
Topic: A window of opportunity (more garage renovations) (Read 1237 times) previous topic - next topic

A window of opportunity (more garage renovations)

So as I mentioned in my garage siding thread, the windows in the place are . None of them open (meaning that I've got to open doors to let air in, which also lets bugs in) and some have broken panes of glass (which the old guy "fixed" with WHITE silicone!). Before I side the back wall of the garage I decided to do something about it. A brief search in local classified turned up no ready-made windows that would fit, and the places that make windows want like $350 apiece. Can't have that, so I decided to make my own. This is a cheap-ass project using free glass and screens, cheap-ass wood (construction grade 2X4's and 2X2's) and some hardware bits. Total construction cost will be about $10/window. I would never dream of using such py wood in a house, but for the garage it'll do.

Pic #1 shows why I'm replacing these windows. Note the nice, big crack with white silicone smeared over it

Pic #2 shows the frame of the new window I'm making. I didn't start taking pics until after this piece was done, but it's pretty straightforward: An old storm door screen, a few 2X4's with 5/16" grooves routered into them to accept the screen, assemble the whole thing, strap it together with skidoo straps until the glue dries (I don't have any bar clamps)

Pic #3 shows the "raw" glass that I've got to cut to fit
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #1
Pic #4 shows the glass after cutting it to width. The fvcker broke wrong at the bottom right corner but luckily when I cut to height that piece was cut off.

Pic #5 shows the glass pane's frame attached, with the silicone sealing it. This pic is of the side of the pane that will face outside.

Pic #6 shows the other side of the pane, the side that will show inside the garage. I got a little fancy here, playing with my new router (well, new as in "I bought it a year ago and had never used it until now") and putting a nice edge on the wood.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #2
...And that's about all I got done on it today. It started to rain and I had to shove everything aside and pull the T-Bird back in (it's got no windows in it, so rain = bad :hick:)

This final pic is for Jim Miller, to show him the 4X6 "studs" this thing is built with. You can also see the 1" barn boards that were behind the particle board "siding" that was on it before I installed the vinyl

Reply #3
What?! You're not installing Pella windows? ;)

Reply #4
 Carm, you sure are a handyman.  I know all about they buying tools and not using them.  I bought a recipro-saw that was on sale last year, and so far the only use it has gotten was from a friend who needed to cut the fenders on his Jeep for tire clearance.  Looking good though, how many windows are there to replace?

Reply #5
nice job, and i hate those  pella window commercials on the radio
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

Reply #6
Man Carm, those rough cut 4x6's look like theyd add some nice characture. Paint the barn board, and stain the 4x6's, and it would look sharp.

I really like the window idea, very simple, but very effective.
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #7
Also is that a JL audio woofer I spot?

Reply #8
Quote from: JeremyB;158132
What?! You're not installing Pella windows? ;)

I don't even know what a Pella window is (must be a USA thing), but if you mean those really expensive thermo-pane windows: NOPE. The house needs windows as well - they're beautiful 100 year old windows complete with "wavy" glass, but they leak heat like a sonavabitch. So bad, in fact, that when it's windy and the windows are closed the drapes move, so you can imagine how much heat I'm using. Needless to say, if I spend any money on windows it'll be for the house.

Quote from: DakotaEpic;158136
Carm, you sure are a handyman.  I know all about they buying tools and not using them.  I bought a recipro-saw that was on sale last year, and so far the only use it has gotten was from a friend who needed to cut the fenders on his Jeep for tire clearance.  Looking good though, how many windows are there to replace?

For now, just the two at the far end of the garage will be replaced. Eventually I may do more...

Quote from: Tbird232ci;158147
Man Carm, those rough cut 4x6's look like theyd add some nice characture. Paint the barn board, and stain the 4x6's, and it would look sharp.

I really like the window idea, very simple, but very effective.

The only problem with that idea is that it would preclude insulating it.

As for the windows - after making these I might try to make some windows for the house (for the above mentioned reason). If I do I will be doing it much differently than these ones. I'd use cedar for the frames instead of spruce, for instance, and I'd use double panes of glass to try and retain some heat. I'd also be a bit fussier about their looks. They wouldn't be thermo-pane, of course, but they'd be better than the current windows and would better match the 100 year old architecture - vinyl just wouldn't look right. I have one broken window (in the bathroom) so I have a reason to try at least one...

Quote from: DakotaEpic;158167
Also is that a JL audio woofer I spot?

Yes, it is. It's the 12" one out of the T-Bird. I removed it when installing the rear end (so I could get at the top shock bolts), then put a bunch of parts in the trunk (door panels, sail panels, etc) so the subwoofer won't fit in there anymore :hick:

Reply #9
You my friend are crazy handy;)
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #10
That is one stout building.

Barring any disaster like fire it will outlive us all!
:birdsmily:   Objects In Mirror Appear to be Loosing  :birdsmily:

Reply #11
Ok, got a bit more done today. I got the one window finished and installed, and I got the other window finished to the same point the first window was in the pics above (no pics of the second window, though, as it looks pretty much exactly like the first).

I actually had not planned on installing the first window into the building until they were both finished, but I kinda forced myself to - I broke the second screen door window while cutting it, then broke another screen door window while cutting THAT one, so after throwing two tantrums I had to take the window out of the garage and cut that piece of glass. Luckily that one didn't break, else I'd have gone truly postal.

Pics of the window installed (still need to add weatherstripping and silicone around it - as I said, I hadn't planned on installing it today):