Skip to main content
Topic: New truck idea... (Read 3677 times) previous topic - next topic

New truck idea...

Reply #15
Yuck. Old chevy pickups with SBCs and noisy exhaust is the big thing around here.

Though they generally just keep stock motors that dont really make any real power. Rednecks.
93 Festiva L, 193k miles, BP+T/G25MR swap, T3 50trim .48/.42, SRT FMIC, Capri electronics/Rocketchip, 2.5" exhaust
bests: ET 12.86, MPH 110.25, 1.92 short
02 Subaru Impreza WRX, 129k miles
97 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport, 236k miles

New truck idea...

Reply #16
Hate the price, Love the truck:
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/car/362420493.html

And heres what a lowered one looks like, heh:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-F-150-Ford-F-150-LARIAT-Super-Crew-Low-Miles-Truck-Automatic_W0QQitemZ300126671807QQihZ020QQcategoryZ6219QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
~Project ThunderStorm = '84 Charcoal Thunderbird - First Car - Long Time Work in Progress~
~Project (No Name Yet) = 1970 Plymouth GTX/RR "Clone"~

New truck idea...

Reply #17
I test drove 3 of them today.

1: 06 F150 SuperCrew XLT 5.4 4x4 Silver/Grey cloth
It was a rental car. And what a POS!!! It had some sort of tastic limiter on it that wouldn't let it rev over 4,000 RPMs and it accelerated soooooooooooooo slowly. I could PUSH Layla to 60 faster then that POS would get there. The interior was . All black plastic, no gauges, no options, thin seats. I was very disappointed.

2: 07 F150 SuperCrew Lariat 5.4 4x4, Bright Red/Tan leather
Wow! It was a different truck! The interior quality is soooooooo much better! The leather and vinyl is high quality, the power moonroof is the best since Layla's, and the wood on the dash was nice. The different gauge package rocked and the vinyl "leather" on the gauge pod was a nice touch. The center console/flooshift was Awesome! It was still a slug in the acceleration department, I SWEAR the Nissan would do donuts around this pig. I think Ford's Throttle-By-Wire needs serious help. A tuner would definitely be purchase #1!!! I liked it, but I think the better half would say no to the hot leather.

3. 07 F150 SuperCrew FX4 4x4, White-Charcoal/Black leather
What a nice truck! THIS is EXACTLY what I want! Power moonroof, center console, floorshift, tow package with trac-loc's, tranny cooler, the upgrades over the XLT are endless! The gauge package is even better then the Lariat and the wood is replaced with carbon fiber looking trim that's VERY nice. Still slow, but the 3.73's gave it a little more "pep".

Observations: I know what I want now. Now I just need to find it...

2004-2007 F150 SuperCrew FX4, 4x4, 5.4L Triton V8, power moonroof, center console, cloth seats, tow package.

I like all the colors, but the Redfire metallic and True Blue Pearl are the Top 2 colors. I can get one with less then 40,000 miles for $22-$24K. Time to fix the Nismo and get shopping!

New truck idea...

Reply #18
How about a nice Ford Van with a 460?  I know it's not quite the same.
TED

New truck idea...

Reply #19
Don't tempt me Ted :D

Throw in a 500ci Caddy-powered TBird and a car trailer...

:hick:

New truck idea...

Reply #20
Chevy/GMC:

The 5.3 is a good motor, the 6.0 is even better. The 6.0 is the only one coupled with a tranny cooler, towing suspension, and 4-wheel discs. The 5.3 is the only one with FlexFuel for E85 Ethanol.

The Crew Cab models have very little rear seat room. Only available with a 4.9' bed. Column-shift only. Interiors are covered in plain black plastic and are very low quality. Clunky steering wheel and stupid cruise control. Nice gauge package on nearly all models.

Very hard to tell difference in between models (1LT, 2LT, 3LT, SLT). 3LT and SLT are only acceptable ones. Chevy design is butt-ugly. GMC's look good. Smaller size makes easier parking. Better gas mileage. Electrical problems out the wazoo.

Ford:

The 4.6 is a dog. The 5.4 is the only one even remotely powerful enough. The 5.4 is available with FlexFuel for E85 Ethanol. All F150's have 4-wheel disc brakes (13"/13"). All 5.4's have tranny coolers and the FX4 and Lariat both have towing suspension. 5.5' and 6.5' beds available.

Interiors range from pure  (XL, XLT) to very nice (FX4) to downright luxurious (Lariat). Fit and finish is A1 on better models. Power moonroof is awesome. Floorshift available. Steering-wheel cruise controls. GREAT A/C. Good gauge package on FX4/Lariats.

Design is clean and looks nice in monochrome or chromed-out packages. Easy to see out of and park even with larger size. 5.5' bed holds more then Chevy's 7' bed. More expensive, worse mileage. Slower to 60 then my  Nissan.

Seems I really don't "like" either one. Don't even get me started on the Dodge's, they are all negatives. What I really want is a 6.0L Vortec in F150 :hick: It really sucks that the Chevy's have great engines but suck on every other drivetrain piece for towing. The tranny cooler is a rarer option, the 4-wheel discs are rarer then 69 Z/28 ones, the gas tanks are puny, the axles are small, posi's aren't standard, etc, etc. *sigh*

New truck idea...

Reply #21
Quote from: Aerobird Motorsports;158020

My senior Engineering thesis in college was on E85 ethanol. I know all about it ;) Corn is the future, I'll take the higher octane, cleaner emissions, American jobs, and still pay only $2/gallon.

Charlatan

New truck idea...

Reply #22
*Cough*Tundra?*cough*

New truck idea...

Reply #23
Tundra's are nice looking and nice feeling.. But they steer like ass.. Takes way more turns lock to lock and they don't have the same turning ease as a Ford.
One 88

New truck idea...

Reply #24
Quote from: DakotaEpic;158348
*Cough*Tundra?*cough*

AHAHAHAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!

Search for "Silver Creek" on YouTube.

New truck idea...

Reply #25
Quote from: Aerobird Motorsports;158364
AHAHAHAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!

Search for "Silver Creek" on YouTube.

.  I thought that thing would break in half.  That Ford is stout as hell though.:bowdown:

New truck idea...

Reply #26
Me and the wife have been looking for a new vehicle to replace her 2000 Cougar.  About a month ago she was eyeing up a new F-250 Super Cab in the supermarket parking lot.  I told her if we did that it wuld HAVE to be the diesel.  A friend just purchased a fully loaded F-450 with the 6.4 and enough options to push the truck to $56K.  It's a phenominal truck!

Sadly, the way I would want the F-250 optioned would bring it to around $37K so that puts it above what we are willing to spend. 
We're actually torn between the Ford Edge and the Dodge Nitro.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

New truck idea...

Reply #27
Go used man! The 6.4 is a POS!! Get an 05-06 with the 6.0 and you'll be MUCH happier. Then some other fool takes the $15,000 depreciation hit ;)

New truck idea...

Reply #28
Yeah, that 6.4 is bad news.  The new 6.0 is where it's at.  Some diesel friends told me the 7.3 was a pretty good motor too, but those trucks are getting pretty old now I believe.

New truck idea...

Reply #29
The 7.3 was OK, but it started life as a GAS motor. The 6.0 is where it's at. There's WAY to many lawsuits ALREADY with the 6.4. What a POS!

Still not as bad as a Tundra though :hick: