Skip to main content
Topic: Well that rocked... (Read 5512 times) previous topic - next topic

Well that rocked...

Had a little "mini-meet" tonight at PIR. Ted came down from Olympia with his TC, John and I drove Layla, and Jim showed up with his 88 TBird 5.0. All 3 cars passed tech!  :D 

Jim's 100% bone stock 2.73 geared car went VERY consistent 17.5's@77-78 MPH. It looks AWESOME lowered on Bullit's.

Ted got a new personal best of 13.6@102 and joined the 100MPH club. Unfortunately it slowed down into the night. We're going to play with the carb for tomorrow (500ci Cadillac Big-Block).

Layla made 6 passes. 15.252@90.89 with a 2.35 60' was all we were allowed before she leaked us into tech failure again! Not bad for 10* base timing, 42#s fuel pressure, and only 19 psi in street trim. The tires sucked and she spun HARD through 2nd. John made 2 passes so I got to watch her go down. It was very useful for tuning and drivability. I'm pretty darn happy.

I even got my 13.9@101  :D  :D  :D

(In Ted's car  :P )

Anyways, it was a GREAT night. We managed to get 4 members together and 3 cars on a one-week notice. Nobody broke and everybody made some good passes! We're doing it all again tomorrow!

We decided to actually "plan" for one in September and try to get a dozen or so cars.

Well that rocked...

Reply #1
Yea that was a blast. I wasn’t planning on running but at the last min figured WTH. I’m glad I did.

It’s nice to have that 17.5 number as a starting point so I can see what any mods I do it the future will add. Not real sure I’ll be down there tonight as I have prior commitments but if I get those fulfilled I’ll see if I can make it. Also going to see if I can talk Timmy into showing with his 5.0 stang, I’d like to see what that actually runs.
:birdsmily:   Objects In Mirror Appear to be Loosing  :birdsmily:

Well that rocked...

Reply #2
Jim,
It would rock to have you again! Don't forget to throw up a pic of your best timeslip ;) Maybe we can bump that timing tonight? :D

Well that rocked...

Reply #3
hey what kinda tech we gonna have to pass.... i know i wont have to worry bout much cept having seat belts and no leaks...... if i need a helmet i can come up with one.

Well that rocked...

Reply #4
Yikes, drag racing with 2.73's. Did you make it all the way down the track in 1st? :P
93 Festiva L, 193k miles, BP+T/G25MR swap, T3 50trim .48/.42, SRT FMIC, Capri electronics/Rocketchip, 2.5" exhaust
bests: ET 12.86, MPH 110.25, 1.92 short
02 Subaru Impreza WRX, 129k miles
97 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport, 236k miles

Well that rocked...

Reply #5
Seat belts work, seat bolted down securely, battery secured, no leaks. Helmet not required until 13.99.

Well that rocked...

Reply #6
I expected a little more from Ted's Bird, but sounds like you guys had a great time...

So how bout today???

Well that rocked...

Reply #7
Hehehe...

You guys sitting down?

Ted came out with the Caddy-Bird again tonight and John brought the GTO. It was an all-out slugfest! End result? 13.098@106.91 for the GTO (still stock!!!) and a 13.185@104 for the Caddy-Bird! The Goat got a 1.988 60' but Ted was cooking with a 1.87! Well, I should say I was cooking. Ted let me take a few passes and managed a 1.87 60' and a 13.323@102.85 with an .021 light ;) That was only the 2nd time I've ever driven his car!

Ted is the new #6 overall on the list! #1 Big-Block car as well! Even my 60' in it would be #8 and since I don't have his timeslips I'd only be guessing. The run I did looks like this:
RT - .021
60' - 1.870
1/8 - 8.528@81.41
1/4 - 13.323@102.85
His best ET run went:
RT - .343
60' - 1.893
1/8 - 8.451@83.11
1/4 - 13.185@103.97
He also trapped over 104 on the last 2 passes! He got the .18, a .22, a .28 and at least 4 runs in the .30's. We leaned the secondaries out 2 steps (7% overall) and dropped the air pressure in the DR's to 25.5psi. His car runs like a top! Starts every time, rides great, just a really awesome street car!

The GTO's best was 1.988 60' with a 8.494@84.84 1/8 and a 13.098@106.91 1/4! John absolutely shattered the previous record for the car. Couldn't be any happier then that!

Ted ran his car vs. me in the GTO, he went a slower 13.329 to a 13.314 but got me by .0501 from the tree. Then he ran against John, who immediately went down to a slower 13.729 vs a faster 13.604, but John schooled him on the tree to eek out a .0355 margin of victory! The Ted let me run the TBird and I took John back to school. .021 RT and a 13.323 to his .324 and 13.723. Got him by .7032 :D :hick: So it's Caddy-Bird - 2, GTO - 1 and Ted's itching for a rematch :D

All in all, it was the 2 best nights of racing possible! The GTO got 11 runs, Ted made around 20 tonight, and 15-ish on Friday. Jim made 7-8 passes and Layla got 6. Nobody broke and we all had a GREAT time!!!

Well that rocked...

Reply #8
Me, Ted, and Jim going through and passing Tech. Has to be a World Record :hick:

Well that rocked...

Reply #9
Jim's gorgeous TBird! 17.50@78 bone stock with a 5.0SO and 2.73's. She'd do a mean burnout though! Next time we'll get him to dump all of the "weight" floating around his car and bump the timing ;)

Well that rocked...

Reply #10
Ted's INCREDIBLE Caddy-Bird! You have to drive this car to truely appreciate how well-sorted it is.

Well that rocked...

Reply #11
Layla of course :D She dropped 1.5 seconds of ET with 2psi more fuel pressure. I NEED to fix the rear main seal and really try to tune it. 6* timing is nothing at all and 92MPH in the 1/4 is a high-14. 60's are 2 tenths slower then stock so tire investment is a must as well.

Well that rocked...

Reply #12
This was the most perfect weekend of racing ever. All of you guys who were close but didn't come really should have. We'll be planning a Aug/Sept meet this week to give 2 months worth of "heads-up" time. See you there!

Well that rocked...

Reply #13
Yee Hawwww... Great pictures... To bad I'm on the other side of the world...

Could have been a real slug fest, as my Bird times are similar to Ted's and John's... I'd have to slipped one in on the bottle though, as I'm a sore looser... :D  Jim's Bird is just a knock out on the Bullets, defiantly makes up for lack of go power...

Aren't those DR pressures are a bit high??? I generally run 18-20psi in my Nittos... Guessing Ted is itching to squeeze a little more out of the 500 and get a 12 sec run...

Well that rocked...

Reply #14
We tried 22 and they got greasy. The Nitto's like higher pressures so 25 is where we stayed. Can't argue with 1.87 60's! I did get Ted to lean the secondaries down 2 sizes. He did it 1 size at a time and the car responded great!

Next time he's trying every trick in the book! But then so will John ;)

Tuning notes:

Ted (Cad-T-Bird 500) - Leaned 2 sizes (7%) out on the secondaries in the carb. Dropped tire pressure from 28 to 22 then back up to 25. Changed to slicks and back to the DR's (the 10.5 tires on 7" 10-holes did not work). Used front 83-86 spare rims (track allowed, they worked great). Shifted at 4500-ish.

John (ThunderCougarFalconGoat) - Dropped tire pressure down to 26. Pulled spare/jack/misc. Let it cool 30 minutes between runs. Loooong burnout. Shifted at 6,000. Launched at 4,500 slipping the clutch. 3/4 tank of gas.

Jim - Pulled spare/jack. Pulled DIRTY air filter (fix that Jim!) :D . Next time we're going to bump the timing and make him clean the car out. He was VERY consistent though. Be a GREAT bracket car!

Me/Layla - Dropped tire pressure to 28. Upped boost to 17-19. Upped fuel pressure to 42#s (that ALONE dropped her from 16's to 15.2@91+!!!). Didn't have a chance to play with anything else. Cam is at 4* advanced, dizzy is at 6* BTDC. She's gone 350 miles on 3/4 of a tank including all the drag racing :D .