Skip to main content
Topic: shaved moldings? (Read 2309 times) previous topic - next topic

shaved moldings?

ive seen lowcat's door but what do the bumpers look like without mouldings? has anyone done this to their car?  :brick:  i think it would look awesome :evilgrin:

Re: shaved moldings?

Reply #1
andrew beedle did it on his t-bird.
Edit: Oh you are talking about the actual bumper covers. I tried to think of ways to to that but I couldn't think of anything. You can't remove the molding from the bumper covers because it is actually part of the cover. I don't really like the molding on these cars very much either but I don't think there is anything you can do about the molding on the bumper covers.

Reply #2
thanks lowcat....

Reply #3
You'd either have to make your own molds and build new bumper covers without the moulding, or cut off the moulding and fiberglass the space to smooth it out. I was going to do this but, it's more work than its worth.

Reply #4
I saw the result of it from my buddies bumper.  He tried to cut off the moulding from the front bumper and it wasn't working at all.

Reply #5
the only possible thing i could see is to smooth the edges of the molding with junk you use to fix abs bumper covers (can't remember the name  right now).that may smooth it out enough so it isn't as pr0nounced.

Reply #6
thats what i did. i filled in mouldings smoothed them out and put my body kit on. i used flexible body filler made for plastic it looks good just be patient

Reply #7
it can be done,, after all the removeable molding is gone, you end up with the 4 corners poking out. this is not something you wanna get into unless you going to paint.  Use a 14'' or 18'' Draw Knife (wood working tool) to shave down the corners. I say a draw knife because you have more control on the outcome with reguard to shape.  Sand and fine touch the rest then move on.

Reply #8
I was thinking of that jcassity..... thanks for the input...