Skip to main content
Topic: What can you guys tell me about Megasquirt? (Read 1726 times) previous topic - next topic

What can you guys tell me about Megasquirt?

I'm planning on upgrading to 46bl. injectors and a 5.0 throttle body and somewhere I read that Megasquirt was like an ECU piggyback that would help balance out my air/fuel. Where can I get Megasquirt, where can I get it dialed in, and what all do I need? Also just outta curiosity I know I don't wanna run too rich or too lean but witch one means too much fuel and which one means too much air?

Reply #2
megasquirt is a stand-alone unit. not a piggy back.
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]
5.0L/4R70W/8.8"/5-lug/3" Exhuast

Reply #3
ahh,,,,
just go to the bowlings site and read every single tab,, every single article no matter how board or over your head it is.

once your done reading,,learning and deciding, you will probably want to buy the card/software and solder on all the parts yourself. 

when your done, you'll have an rs232 interface which you can tune or detune ect via laptop and all this without the need for your current eec. 

they have a good handle on TFI dizzy applications now as well so read up on that.

Also look at the sections related to high and low impedance injectors as well as thier original design based on chevy's tbi , ie-fords cfi.

good stuff, real good on paper, not privy to anyone using it though.

Reply #4
Quote from: jcassity;156875
ahh,,,,
just go to the bowlings site and read every single tab,, every single article no matter how board or over your head it is.

once your done reading,,learning and deciding, you will probably want to buy the card/software and solder on all the parts yourself. 

when your done, you'll have an rs232 interface which you can tune or detune ect via laptop and all this without the need for your current eec. 

they have a good handle on TFI dizzy applications now as well so read up on that.

Also look at the sections related to high and low impedance injectors as well as thier original design based on chevy's tbi , ie-fords cfi.

good stuff, real good on paper, not privy to anyone using it though.

Do you have a link to this page? Also do I have to get Megasquirt or another program if I increas my air flow and add bigger injectors or is it something that can wait?

Reply #5
Quote from: JoeNoble;156917
Do you have a link to this page?

Here is the link to their main page.

http://www.bgsoflex.com/megasquirt.html

Brent
:cougarsmily:
1985 Mercury Cougar XR-7 - 5-speed 
One of 1,246 built

Reply #6
Quote from: BCA;156922
Here is the link to their main page.

http://www.bgsoflex.com/megasquirt.html

Brent
:cougarsmily:

Do I have to get Megasquirt or another program if I increas my air flow and add bigger injectors or is it something that can wait? I have a 5.0 mass air flow sensor and throttle body and every thing I need to properly mount them (though I still need to port match my upper intake) and I have 46lb injectors on the way. My only problem is I'm not sure if I can just put them in and run the car like that or if I have to get the megasquirt. I've never really gotten this far on performance upgrading a car so I dont know if I have to have the megasquirt or not. Would getting an MSD ignition work?

Reply #7
If you want to upgrade the engine and tune it yourself without going to a standalone unit, get a TweecerRT. It runs ~$550.

With 46 lb injectors, you need to be able to reprogram the ECU to let it know it has them. Otherwise the car will run like ass.
There are other changes you can make to help the car run better when putting in new injectors. PW for cranking (this table isn't directly linked to your injector size...so your computer is inputting 19 lb PWs for a 46 lb injector on startup), injector timing (having the injector spray on a closed intake valve...this is really only important when you change cams), etc.

[rant] Increasing the FP and using FMU's are gay. Use the EEC to compensate for your engine changes and tune properly [/rant]

Reply #8
Chuck runs his car solely on a Megasquirt.
One 88

Reply #9
Quote from: CougarSE;156934
Chuck runs his car solely on a Megasquirt.

When it runs :p

It's not the MS's fault though.

You NEED to take the time to read the MegaSquirt literature though.  If you don't understand it, read it again.  Rinse. Repeat. You cannot expect to just try and get through it hoping everyone is just going to help you out.  People try it, but it doesn't work.  You need to educate yourself at least a little bit.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #10
Quote from: Chuck W;157030

You NEED to take the time to read the MegaSquirt literature though.  If you don't understand it, read it again.  Rinse. Repeat. You cannot expect to just try and get through it hopeing everyone is just going to help you out.  People try it, but it doesn't work.  You need to educate yourself at least a little bit.

sometimes i find myself back there reading yet again more stuff.

Focus on a catagory,, such as the TFI section and give the folks a call.

you can get by super cheap, i think i was looking at 150 for thier board and software.  I havent been on there in so long but it might be even cheaper than that.

Reply #11
Quote from: jcassity;157111
sometimes i find myself back there reading yet again more stuff.

Focus on a catagory,, such as the TFI section and give the folks a call.

you can get by super cheap, i think i was looking at 150 for thier board and software.  I havent been on there in so long but it might be even cheaper than that.

My whole problem is I don't know what I need or anything about programing an ecu. Hell I dont even have a laptop.

Quote from: Chuck W;157030

You NEED to take the time to read the MegaSquirt literature though.  If you don't understand it, read it again.  Rinse. Repeat. You cannot expect to just try and get through it hopeing everyone is just going to help you out.  People try it, but it doesn't work.  You need to educate yourself at least a little bit.

Your right the best thing I can do is read everything I can about it and see where that gets me. I just wanted to see what the guys on the forum had to say.

Thanks Guys

Reply #12
How "loaded" of an MS unit you need all depends on what you need it do.  You may be able to get by with an MS1 unit with minimal add-ons. 

Like I said, you need to do some reading.  Even pay a visit to the MSFEI forums (link on the MS site).  My MS was my very first electronics project of any kind.  I did ALOT of reading beforehand though.  I was just as leery about installing the firmware and getting the unit running as I had done nothing of the sort before. 

As far as the tuning goes, again read the manual.  They have a section on tuning and will walk you through it and you should read that 4-5 times at least, just to familiarize yourself with it.  Some of the newer Megatune (the tuning software) has an "auto-tune" ability that will help get the tune close (at least for non-boosted apps). 

You don't need a fancy laptop to run the tuning software.  My original one is an IBM 760 ThinkBrick (P1 133MHz).  I have a slightly newer one I will switch to when I get the car back out on the street and get the tune dialed in a bit better (I need to switch to the newer tuning software, but old tune files sometimes don't swap directly..so better to have it running decent and then deal with that)

Anyway, you'll be surprised how much your general knowledge about what goes on with your car and what makes it do what it does the deeper you get into this.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #13
Check out http://www.protocar.net they sell a build it yourself kit or a prebuilt kit. They have a few different versions available. I would save up and get the new megasquirt 2 v3.0 spark and squirt kit. You can use most of your stock wiring to wire in the standalone unit. The cool thing is if you have it set up right you can hook it up to a laptop in the car and switch from fuel saving to performance on the fly. I have an older version in my 78 datsun and i love it. Of course it would really work if my fuel tank was cleaned and installed huh? If you have any question shoot me a pm and i'll try to answer the best i can.