Skip to main content
Topic: 92-93 caddy sadan diville (Read 981 times) previous topic - next topic

92-93 caddy sadan diville

ok, my buddy has this beat diville and he has hired me to fix it before his trip to SC, we are in jersey. after he ran it threw a lake, "large puddle about the length of a small house and 2-3' deep" and half of that puddle found its way into the oil makeing it look like someones coffee with to much milk in it. anyway...  sence a little after that theirs been a list of problems, includeing some kind of bearing noise, and horrable fuel economy. now besides the fuel economy, it hesitates, backfires, and has a sigificant loss of power. i took the air cleaner off the cfi and looked at the injectors inside and they were COVERED in black sludge... so i cleaned them as good as i could without takeing the injectors out and it got a little better.

i was thinking of takeing the injectors out and properly cleaning them, and checking the wheel bearings for that noise. as for the rest of the simptoms i have no idea. i already cleaned out the cat, that was clogged horrably. i guess this is why they desiginate a car a flood car after something like this.

Re: 92-93 caddy sadan diville

Reply #1
Those 4.9's were notorious for intake and head gasket leaks which went unnoticed and then coolant would wash the oil out wiping out the camshaft and the crankshaft main bearings.    The backfire could mean the cam is out, this happened to me on my wife's former 1990 Seville that had the 4.5 version of the engine.  It ended up to be an expensive repair, replacing the main and rod bearings, the cam & lifters and a complete engine reseal/gasket and this was on what was then a 5 year old car with 65k miles that was serviced every 3000 miles! :shakehead

Reply #2
not cool lol. i started thinking about that and it makes more sence than the wheel bearings, i was just being optomistic seeing how it sat in that lake for a good few hrs. i guess ill try a compression test on it. i realy dont feel like takeing that dam engine appart, or even out. its enough of a payne in the ass  putting a belt on it, this guy should be only alloud to drive a saturn, and have a frequant dealer repair card... i sware, he goes threw more cars, and picks the worst cars ever lol. any other advice on these things?  i just rembered i replaced the o2 sensors and map for him about a month ago. that o2 was caked in the same black carbin the fuel injectors were... this is why i didnt like work'n at a dealership :shoothead

Reply #3
i'd be more concerned with the main bearings.  If any water got into them either from the lake or h/g those bearings are shot.  I've got a tbird that sounds like a mouse on a wheel when we start it up.
tc
1986 Mercury Cougar -- Midnight Wine and Taupe  ($1700) in 1999 w/ 103,000 miles.  Now with a motor from an 87 with 54K on it.
1988 Mercury Cougar -- Light Sandlewood Metalic  ($40)  in 2003 with 111,000 miles.  Needs a fender, some welding and a good tune up.  Possibly my next daily if i ever get it to the shop.
1991 GMC Sonoma, My $50 daily driver.