Skip to main content
Topic: what should i do? (Read 2409 times) previous topic - next topic

what should i do?

well thank goodness for tax returns, i should be getting close to 1k-1.5k back, what kinda mods should i do? i was planning on doing out the exhaust, maybe getting some gears, and fixing some cosmetic damage,

or now i'm recently thinking about maybe just swapping in a 5.0ho motor instead of my 5.0so, what year motor would go into my car and would my stock tranny bolt up? i need to know in case i decide to do this,

any input is appreciated, thanks guys :headbang:

Re: what should i do?

Reply #1
swapping a HO in will be more than what your parameters are.

do exhaust and gears, most bang for the buck.

Reply #2
Mdj1281 I dont know about were you live, but around here I know I could do a 5.0 ho swap  for way less than a grand.  My local junkyard priced this to me....

100.00 for engine, take note that price is for as is no warranty
30.00 for the 5.0 harness
30.00 for any computer
All egr emmision stuff If I take it off I can have it.
Ac lines free.
And if I had to go back for various little items they wouldn't charge much at all

Oh yeah double hump crossmember would cost 15.

If the engine needed rebuilt,  You could still do it for the money.
One 88

Reply #3
well i dunno pricings here, i live in houston tx, they are sure to over charge, they were asking for like 600 bucks for a used t-45 tranny like a couple eyars ago with like between 32k-60k can't remember, while it doesn't seem too bad, i'm sure he could have done better, as for the engine i'm pretty sure somewhere is gonna charge like 1k, but what all would i need for the ho swap if i find a good affordable engine?

Reply #4
what year is your car?

if you have an 86+, you can use your stock harness, drop a stang engine in, use your accessory brackets and whatnot, and use a speed density stang computer and pretty much be done
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #5
well now i'm thinking maybe i should just keep my engine cause it runs fine, and just build a seperate engine on the side, someone recommended off the tccoa boards,

what kinda long block should i look at if i decide to do that? long block or short block? and what cid?

need kinda specific input, not experienced in building an engine

Reply #6
to drop in a JUNKyard block, sure if done by yourself it could be about $1,000, however why put something in your just gonna have to rip apart later?

If you want to get another motor in the future, buy an engine stand (pez boys or autoscone) and get a mustang long block from the junk yard, 302's are good for many applications. Bring it home, tear it down, and refurb. it or build it up. I would NEVER put a junkyard motor straight into my car... who knows how reliable it is.

Reply #7
I agree, if you buy a junkyard engine pull it apart first.  Some have been sitting there forever.  Of course if you want the practice go ahead and throw it in. 

Remember you can use engines out of Lincolns Mark vii too.
Also I think the 5.0 engines in 89 to 93? is a high output roller engine as well...someone key in and correct me if I'm wrong...
One 88

Reply #8
I wouldnt go the route of the LSC motors... I forget the years but the pistons didnt have reliefs on some and would interfere if you ever decided to do future upgrades. If you come across an LSC motor for a good price, check out the lincoln tech boards like Lincolons of Distinction (http://www.lincolnsclub.org/forum/dcboard.php) 89-93's should all be roller, I think the 86+ 5.0's are all roller... I know that is true in the cougar. Try to get the 89-93 years mustang 5.0.

Reply #9
1986 didnt have reliefs
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #10
How much to pull your motor and have it rebuilt a tab bit better?

Reply #11
man id do exhaust and suspention.... lowering springs, shocks, wheels,rims, bushings, sway bars, blah

Reply #12
well someone suggested keeping mine in there for now, doing some basics, but really get a 347 stroker to build up and then swap in, and idea on what kinda tranny would be needed?