Skip to main content
Topic: Headers and column shift = :( (Read 5332 times) previous topic - next topic

Headers and column shift = :(

Reply #15
Quote from: MasterBlaster;154415
The old thread's back there somewhere, but I think the search function lost it the last time the database went kerflooie.

thanks for this, im gonna try it this week and see how it goes, i wanna drive my car again, its been like a month:mad:
88 5.0 tbird, bbk shorties, new aod, short ram intake, msd ignition, soon to be full H.O.

Reply #16
All I dod on mine was drill 1 new hole about 1/2" above the front bolt  on the triangle bracket and used that as the new bolt hole. On the trans I used 2 lugnuts as spacers to move the other bracket out. After that I just adjusted the shifter and all is well. No welding nescesory.
FORD The Pacemaker of a CHEVY

Reply #17
do you have any pics of what you did, and what kind of setup do you have, im guessing headers and hpipe rite
88 5.0 tbird, bbk shorties, new aod, short ram intake, msd ignition, soon to be full H.O.

Reply #18
Yes, HO headers and H pipe. If I get a chance later I'll put the car up on a lift and snap some pics.
FORD The Pacemaker of a CHEVY

Reply #19
Quote from: thunderjet302;153943
I actualy just put a Summit off road H pipe in with my FMS stainless shorties and I got it to clear fine with no mods to the linkage. All I did was remove the bottom stud from the header and used a short bolt with a nut on the top facing the motor. Works fine and no leaks. I'll see if I can get a pic for you tomorrow.

Quote from: thunderjet302;154464
Hmm my FMS stainless GT-40P shorties and 2.5" H pipe fit fine around the linkage. All I had to do was use a bolt instead of the stud on the lower part of the collector. Could be because I have brand new motor mounts though.

Why are you guys having so much trouble with interference? My stuff fit fine and all I had to do was swap out a stud on the header exhaust  for a nut and bolt. The shifter gets all gear positions as well.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #20
thunderjet, i have tried everything, i changed thestud to a bolt it still hit, i got it bolted up once but it was just to much of a bind and i couldnt get it out of park, so idk, maybe its somthing else idk, mine is just hitting way to much

Reply #21
When I had my Cougar I tried a set of Mac long tubes on it. They went in and bolted up, but I discovered a serious flaw with my first test drive - every time I floored it the rocking of the engine would knock the car into neutral. After a trip around the block I took 'em back off and installed a set of Mustang shorties and H-pipe.

I've solved that problem in my T-Bird for when I eventually install long tubes: I ditched the automatic altogether :D
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #22
I guess it could be the way my headers point down :dunno:
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #23
I'm not sure I should evn THINK about posting my solution....I know I did once I cant remember the results....but I'd have to be prepared for some intense heckle incoming fire :evilgrin:
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #24
im down to hear what you did, i wont bash ya

Reply #25
Hehehehe what I did was grind a notch out of the horizontal shaft, a little more than halfway through the thickness, and I cut off *one* of the six sides on the nut almost all of the way so looking at it from the side the threads look like nasty pointy teeth :hick:. Aaaaand just tightened it enough so that the missing side would be facing the shaft LOL. Fits like a glove theres more than 1/8" inch of clearance at all shift positions!
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #26
That's basically how mine looks except I just removed the stud and used a bolt and nut :D Plenty of room for the shifter.

Reply #27
well i dont guess thats too bad, atleast you get to drive it haha, well im going to try something, thanks for that, it dont look that bad honestly, and who will know its like that haha

Reply #28
Its true....I felt silly but at the same time ingenious because, well, 5/6 of the strength of the bolt is still there!!! :hick: Has worked great, still nice and tight, and the movement of the shaft is no problem.

Reply #29
well that sounds good enough, i mite try that if i cant get it another way,