Skip to main content
Topic: h-pipe (Read 2970 times) previous topic - next topic

h-pipe

will a bbk h-pipe with cats bolt up to some mustang headers i'm going to be putting on my 1988 5.0 tbird?  how about the catco h-pipe with cats?

i'd rather use the bbk because it's 2.5" rather than the catco 2.25" but if the bbk won't bolt up to easy i'll prolly save the trouble and get the summit h-pipe and buy some high flow cats, thanks guys  :)

Re: h-pipe

Reply #2
Nice pic Hawk. Did you just clamp those at the seams?  Or did you weld them also? I had been wondering if you could get away with just clamping an exhaust together or not.

Reply #3
yeah man it should fit fine.... all except if you dont have the double hump crossmember im gonna be running everything stock until i get to the catback, mustang shorties LSC h-pipe and a flowmaster 2.5 american thunder catback system with 3.5 inch tips

btw hawk, that car is freakin' sweet! you must win alot of races with that baby ;) and have drooling doofuses like me staring at it  :evilgrin:

BTW tbird96h- is your car stock? if so... you might loose all your torque if you run 2.5 all the way out  someone correct me if im wrong....

Reply #4
it's stock, maybe i'll throw some lers on there, that should keep enough back pressure right? i ran straight piping on my last bird a 96 4.6L n/a, and i think i did notice a loss in low end torque, if i were to put glasspack lers on it, would that keep enough torque and give it a nice low rumble? if not what ler would give it a really loud and agressive sound? i don't want the transam sounding exhaust, or mustang exhaust, i want some nice loud agressiveness to it, any input is appreciated, thanks

Reply #5
I personally like the Dyno Max Ultraflo's. Decent sound, decent backpressure. Good product.
Temporarily Foxless? Ride the Bull...

Reply #6
That is what I got. If they make a 3.8 sound decent, I can only imagine what they could do for a 5.0.

Reply #7
thanks guys, next time your down here in texas, i'll give you free cowboy hats, yeehaw! :)

Reply #8
Hey tbird96h,what part of Texas are you in?I'm in Ardmore ,Ok.South central part of the state right above Gainesville.
Oh,I now have the Mark VII headers and H-pipe with the cats hollowed out.I cut the intermediate pipes (so I could unbolt and swap exhaust parts easier)from the Mark VII and spliced them to my lers and tailpipes.Since I got the Mark VII for parts,my total cost was $8 for 4 clamps and 2 connecting pipes (6 inches long).I can feel a difference in the car.I'd like some Flowmasters now,but,my attention is on getting the H.O. 5.0 in it.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #9
flowmaster super 40's- 60's are awesome i think in the package im getting im getting the normal 40 series lers I'll have the summit part number in a little bit...

ok.... i got the number for the one at summit racing
FLO-17103  $279.95

and thats not the kit im getting from what i understand you want a littlebit of a quieter exhaust system so, force II will suit your needs.

btw im getting the american thunder kit if you change your mind

http://www.flowmasterlers.com/cgi-bin/flowmaster/sound.html -theres some sound clips if you wanted to know what they sound like...
-Blackjack

Reply #10
Quote from: 87thunderbirdBlackJack

btw hawk, that car is freakin' sweet! you must win alot of races with that baby ;) and have drooling doofuses like me staring at it  :evilgrin:

Thanks bro. As for races.....never really had one yet. I played with a Pantera GTS once and a modified Camaro SS (pulled on both) while getting onto highways but other than that nothing....most would be's don't bother me at stoplights when they hear it idle...the lumpy idle and whine from the blower seem to scare people away which is fine with me...I've never been into the street racing thing.

Reply #11
yeah but whats your quarter mile time in it?

Reply #12
No clue...car hasn't been down a strip since '91 and probably never will be again.....I'm not into the drag racing thing at all and with the suspension setup I run it won't hook for shiznit on a track.

Reply #13
figures.... anyway tight car (im lovin' the paxton supercharger ;) )