Skip to main content
Topic: i want to shoot my engine!! (Read 1690 times) previous topic - next topic

i want to shoot my engine!!

its ticking, knocking and today i floored it and started to burn out then all of a sudden my fan started to puch alot of air, even when i rev all i can hear is the fan!! and when i floor it in drive the fan starts pushing alot of air and starts to squeek at 4500 rpm and high. any ideas what is wrong now?
1988 LX coupe. a dressed up motor with full exhaust and BBK shorties with flowmasters, BBK CAI, accufab 65mm tb, HO upper intake, cobra valve covers.

Reply #1
your fan clutch is grabbing a lot more on the shaft due to some reason that is increase of heat related.  The thermal in the fan / or bushing has prob gone bad as a result as well.

Find out if you have a cooling issue and why the temp guage did not warn you.

also,, if its knocking ,, find out why technically.

sounds kinda bad to me from the way you describe it.

Reply #2
Why would you floor it if it is knocking and ticking? :hick:
Start pulling plug wires one at a time while it is running if it is rod knock it will quiet down when you pull the plug wire to the cylinder that is knocking.

Reply #3
sounds like a faulty fan clutch as stated above.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication

Reply #4
what is the fan clutch?
1988 LX coupe. a dressed up motor with full exhaust and BBK shorties with flowmasters, BBK CAI, accufab 65mm tb, HO upper intake, cobra valve covers.

Reply #5
Quote from: quicksilver;153569
what is the fan clutch?

it is the part the fan blades bolt to

then the clutch bolts to the water pump
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication

Reply #6
how much do you think it would cost to get fixed and where could i get that part from besides a junk yard?

Reply #8
oo good news!! i fixed it!! i just floored up up to 65mph and it stopped and now it works like normal.

Reply #9
ah i dont think thats fixed, id replace it anyway if i were you
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

Reply #10
Open the hood with the engine off, and reach in behind the shroud and see if the fan turns freely.  It should have a slight resistance with almost no coast, but if you can't push it with one finger on a cold engine, the fan clutch is shot.  Been there, done that, and it'll make a 3.8L V6 bird sound like 747 taxiing down the interstate at 50 mph.  Now for the REALLY bad new, it'll rob about 1/3 of your horsepower, and just about collapse the fuel tank (exaggerating a little) with the amount of fuel it will make the engine burn.  About $30 as stated above for the clutch, and about an hour to put it on.  Some try it without removing the fan belt, but I don't advise that.  Take off the serpentine belt, 4 bolts outta the  of the clutch at the water pump, and you should be able to slip fan, clutch and all out the bottom (if you hold your mouth right).  Take the clutch off the fan, install the new one, and reverse the process to put it back in. 

Taking the fan clutch off the water pump can be a little tricky, but if you have a large screwdriver to wedge between the shaft and one of the bolt heads you don't have the wrench on, you can hold it while you turn the wrench.  The water pump turns freely (or should), which is the only tricky part about loosening the 4 bolts on the clutch.
:birdsmily:
(X2) '86 Thunderbird, 3.8L CFI, C5 Tranny

'92 F-150, 5.0L EFI (SD), M5OD Tranny, 3.08 Dif

'70 VW Beetle, 1780cc, twin Solex 43's.

Reply #11
Man your car fixing methods are great.  "It's broken, lets floor it to 65mph and that should fix it!"  Hahaha just pickin with ya.

Anyways yeah, I doubt it's "really" fixed.  Just snag a new one.

Reply #12
you kidding man? (King) thats the best way to do it! Its called an Italian tune-up. :bowdown:

And yeah I can say that cuz Ill put it this way, my last name isnt too easy to pr0nounce and has "LL" in it :D
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane