Skip to main content
Topic: Mustang Spare Wheels for Front TC (Read 2233 times) previous topic - next topic

Mustang Spare Wheels for Front TC

Well I finally got a set of Mustang spare wheels for my 87 Turbo Coupe.  I mounted 165 tires on them and when I bolted them up it hit the calipers. :mad:

I think I can fix the problem with wheel spacers.  Does anybody have a suggestion as to where I can get a set for 4 lug?  I looked at eBay and they just look cheap.

Has anybody done this before with the Turbo Coupe and what did you do?

Thanks

TED

Reply #1
My friend used  one thick washer on each stud (about 1/8 inch thick) then just bolted the wheels on,and hasn't had a problem in 4 years with them.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Spacers

Reply #2
Thanks but this solution concerns me.  If one washer is slightly thicker than the other I would have a wobble, not good at 100 plus.

I guess I could measure them to make sure I have a match pair.

TED

Reply #4
get turbo coupe mini spares. there 16" wheels. the mustangs would be 15".
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #5
FYI:
83-86 Turbo Coupe's had aluminum spares, they do not clear 11" brakes.
87-88 TC's had steel spares, they do clear 11" brakes.
87-9? LX 5.0/GT Stangs had spares with holes in them (draglite style), they do clear 11" brakes.

ALL of them are ILLEGAL at ALL NHRA/IHRA events, even with new, normal tires. They are far too weak for competition use. I've seen an aluminum 83-86 one fail at speed, and it was very ugly. There's a reason the 2 largest sanctioning bodies in drag racing permanently outlawed them.

Reply #7
Quote from: Cad-T-Bird 500;153111
Well there goes that idea, I did not know that they were not legal, you are sure about this?  Bummer.

Thanks for info, I guess I will drop the idea, I posted before but I guess I got the wrong answer.

http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?t=5363

TED
I still feel they are built just as good as any other 4" wide wheel.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication

Reply #8
They are absolutely, 100% illegal for use in NHRA or IHRA competition. Most tracks don't allow them on TNT nights either out of fear of losing their sanction, or because they have an ACTUAL tech inspection.

If you ever come down my way on I5, stop by. I have an 87/88 STEEL one that's crushed like a soda can from a 5MPH curb hit.

Wheels

Reply #9
I agree with sleeper, they are nice heavy duty wheels, almost like they are billet and I would not worry about them.

But if they are illegal I can't use them on my ride.

Thanks for all your help.

I also wrote to NHRA to make sure but I'm sure Areobird knows his stuff.

But they are cool looking and light.

TED

Wheels

Reply #10
I wrote to a friend of mine that runs a 9 second car with a Cadillac engine and asked him to look into the rule book for me, this was his reply:

Ted:
 I've looked thru a NHRA rule book under general regulations.....one part says....."Each car in competition must be equipped  with automotive type wheels with a minimum 12 inches of diameter unless class requirements stipulate otherwise.The thread engagement on all wheel studs to the lug nut,or lug bolts to wheel hubs,must be equivalent to or greater than the diameter of the stud/bolt. Length of the stud/bolt does not determine permissibility.(ex: A 7/16" stud must be thoroughly engaged through the threads in the hex portion of the lug a minimum of 7/16")"......this is under wheels...............

But this is under the tires section................
"Tires will be visually checked for condition,pressure,etc. and must be considered free of defects by the tech inspector prior to any run. All street tires must  have a minimum of 1/16 inch tread depth.Temporary spares,space savers,farm implement or trailer tires prohibited. Metal,screw in valve stems mandatory in tube less tires,front & rear,on vehicles running 11.99 or quicker".

So the tires are not legal but maybe the wheels are?  This should not be a problems since I'm using the 165-15 tires.

TED

Reply #11
Ted:  I have used TC spares for years. Never got bumped in tech for it. However.....if the tech guy at your track is an eagle eye, then he might say something.

back in "the day" when the fox stangs were all over the tracks and using aluminum spares, the word spread around the tech guys that the wheels were unsafe. (I have no idea if this is true)

But, being that fear spreads quicker that test data, those TC wheels got a bad rep and some guys would get bumped at tech because of them.

All 83-86 Convertible Mustangs and TCs had "small brake" aluminum wheels.

All 87-93 convertible stangs had "big brake" aluminum wheels.
Alan Mackin--Semi Professional Ford der
83 T-Bird 460
83 T-Bird Heritage 5.0
84 T-Bird 5.0
86 T-Bird Turbo Coupe NHRA Stocker & Super Stocker
87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe
88 Bronco II Drag truck 302
95 Mustang GT auto
2004 F-350 CC Dually V-10

Reply #12
I've read in MM&FF that those wheels are illegal as well
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #13

Thanks Gumby, I ordered a set of these spacers and it works great, just what I needed.  I'm going to take the wheels with me down to the track and we will ask tech what they think.

TED

Reply #14
glad to hear they worked for you. mental note too add to the useful info list. MM spacers will allow mini spares to clear 11" brakes.
gumby - beauty may fade, but stupid is forever!