Skip to main content
Topic: Which Water Pump Is Best? (Read 816 times) previous topic - next topic

Which Water Pump Is Best?

The water pump on my 87 T-Bird Sport 5.0L blew like a geyser yesterday after doing a hard test drive. Opened the hood and water was gushing out of the hole that's on the top of the water pump like Old Faithful. WOW! Went online looking to see what prices were before I went to the parts store. I see there are several different types of water pumps now available, Reman, New Standard, Heavy Duty, High Performance, Reverse Rotation. I know what Reman is and Standard is probably like OEM. But how does the Heavy Duty and High Performance compare and what is Reverse Rotation? The engine which drives the water pump only turns one way so how can the rotation be reversed? Also do you know which brand name would be better and last longer. Thanks.

Reply #1
Reverse rotation is what our 5.0 cars had...and the Mustang 5.0. The standard rotation was on the Crown Vic/Grampa Marquis/Town Car. So you absolutely need to have a water pump with reverse rotation.

Far as what you want...whatever's got a good warranty, go for it. It's nice to have a new pump though, if the price isn't too far off from a reman. A heavy duty might not be aluminum...it could be cast iron, so check into that, but it may also last longer and have a better warranty. A high performance would be more like a high-flow pump, which is very good and usually solves a lot of the typical 5.0 water pump cooling issues. It moves more water for better cooling flow; the impellers are a different design. For a daily driver or non-performance motor it may be a little overkill.

Reply #2
This was very helpful. THANKS.

Reply #3
Check summit racing. They have a brand new Ford racing standard flow pump for $50. I've used that on my old 5.0 and my new one and they work great.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.