Skip to main content
Topic: Will an AOD fit in my trunk? (Read 2457 times) previous topic - next topic

Will an AOD fit in my trunk?

Just wondering because I'm considering buying an AOD from one of the local recyclers to take home and build up and the Tbird is my only vehicle.  Wanna know if I gotta rent a truck just to take it home :hick:
1983 Thunderbird-302 HO, Holley 650 CFM 4150 DP, Weiand Stealth Intake, Dual-Snorkel Air Cleaner,  Holley Fuel Pump, Procomp HEI Distributor, B&M Holeshot 2400 Converter, Custom 2 1/4 duals with no cats and BBK shorties, Taurus Fan Conversion, FMS Grill, much more to come....

"In the future, I plan on taking more of an active role in the decisions I make" - Paris Hilton

Reply #1
If you remove the dipstick tube (it twists out), yes. But then you may have trans fluid all over your trunk. So I'd recommend removing your trunk carpeting, and maybe bringing something to plug up the dipstick tube hole.

Reply #2
Hmm.  Any chance the tube will just twist to a horizontal position?
1983 Thunderbird-302 HO, Holley 650 CFM 4150 DP, Weiand Stealth Intake, Dual-Snorkel Air Cleaner,  Holley Fuel Pump, Procomp HEI Distributor, B&M Holeshot 2400 Converter, Custom 2 1/4 duals with no cats and BBK shorties, Taurus Fan Conversion, FMS Grill, much more to come....

"In the future, I plan on taking more of an active role in the decisions I make" - Paris Hilton

Reply #4
...and bring someone to help you lift it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
86 5.0 Turbocoupe (Katrina), 87 5.0 Sport (Rita)

Reply #5
Good to know.  Guess I'll bring a shop rag or something to plug the hole.  And maybe wrap the transmission in a garbage bag.

Reply #6
Quote from: Dogcharmer;150547
...and bring someone to help you lift it.

It's alright.  I'm a certified lunatic ;)

Reply #7
Hope you don't throw your back out dropping that thing into the trunk...

Garrett H.
'94 F250 XLT- 4x4, 5 speed, 7.3 IDI Turbo Diesel, 4" intake, 4" exhaust, 5" turnout stacks, manual hubs, etc.
'87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
Engine, wheels, tires, etc!
Exhaust sound clip
Another clip

Reply #8
I'd be a little more worried about getting back out.  Guess I could always hoist it out with my cherry picker when I get back to the garage.

Reply #9
In or out, either way...if you're doing it yourself, it'll be hard on your back because you have to bend at the waist to set it in there and can't use your legs. I'd say definitely use the cherry picker to get it out, and having someone set it in there for you (hoist or whatever) or at least helping would be a very good idea.

Garrett H.
'94 F250 XLT- 4x4, 5 speed, 7.3 IDI Turbo Diesel, 4" intake, 4" exhaust, 5" turnout stacks, manual hubs, etc.
Exhaust sound clip
Another clip

Reply #10
A transmission will fit with no problem.  Hell I brought a 7.5 axle home in my cougars trunk a long time ago.  thing almost fit all the way in.  only one drum stuck out.

I also hulled a t5 in my trunk once.. that was nothing.
One 88

Reply #11
Guess I'll see.  I'm a tall guy and fairly strong, I can usually move large awkward objects a little easier than the guy next to me.

Reply #12
Take a freind with you, make them help, then buy them a beer later

Reply #13
I'm tall and fairly strong too, but I wouldn't try throwing an auto tranny in a trunk by myself unless I was literally throwing it. Really, what do those things weigh?

I would probably even think twice about doing it with a T5 (which is what, 100 lbs?).

It's just so, so hard on your back to bend at the waist and set something that heavy, down that far.

I'm just conscious about my back...my dad threw his out when he was about my age and it bothers him every day. I don't wanna go through that.

BTW I can fit in my trunk with room to spare so they're definitely roomy :)

Garrett H.
Exhaust sound clip
Another clip

Reply #14
Yeah Ive done it alone before.  NO easy task and yes your back will probably hurt for a week afterwards, mine did.  Have somebody help you if possible.