Skip to main content
Topic: New guy needs HELP!! (Read 2717 times) previous topic - next topic

New guy needs HELP!!

I recently aquired a 1987 Thunderbird Sport 5.0. Just about to get it inspected and the Digital Instrument Cluster (Full) spedometer and information area ped out. Got a doner from the boneyard and it does the same thing???? Wiring harness, Fuses or WHAT?

Any and all help would be appreciated!!!!

Tony P:birdsmily:

New guy needs HELP!!

Reply #1
If you've got the cluster out of the car, check the bulbs. If ONLY the speedo part of the cluster ped out this is likely the problem. There are two bulbs for each cluster section. The bulbs are halogen but you can replace them with normal 194 bulbs.

If the whole cluster went out I'd put my guess on the cluster illumination relay. It's in the center stack (the part of the dash that houses the radio, HVAC controls, etc) on the left side. You might also want to check the fuses (Not sure which fuse number is for dash lights but I'm sure somebody will chime in).
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

New guy needs HELP!!

Reply #2
Thanks TC,

The two gauge areas have back lights but the second bulb in each cluster does not seem to be lit, could this be what illuminates the info????

New guy needs HELP!!

Reply #3
Very well could be - it's been so long since I had a disco dash apart I forget. I'd recommend replacing ALL the bulbs while you have the cluster out. They're cheap, and it's a lot of work if you put it back in and another burns out.

Those halogen bulbs will pull right out of their plastic housings and you can install 194 bulbs directly in their places. It might be slightly dimmer (I noticed no difference in my '87 Sport) but it's easier than trying to track down expensive halogen bulbs...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

New guy needs HELP!!

Reply #4
I bought a Sport Coupe new in 87 with a digital cluster-never again. From then until 2003 I replaced the cluster illumination relay 5 times. Can you see the cluster at night and not during the day? At night the auto lamp dims the cluster. The contacts on the relay,(made in Mexico), weld together so it stays in dim during the day. The relay is located on a rack with 6 others just to the lower right of the steering column. I can't remember which one it is but Ford wanted the car for 3 days and the cost estimate was around $300. The relay costs about $12 at Ford and takes about 15 minutes to change.
1987 Turbo Coupe, 306, Trick Flow Track Heat heads, Comp Cam, Trick Flow Pistons, Eagle Rods, Center Force clutch, T-5, 8.8 w/373 gears, and a bunch more

New guy needs HELP!!

Reply #5
I bought a Sport Coupe in 87 with the digital dash. From then until 2003 I replaced the cluster illumination relay 5 times. With the lights in autolamp at night the dash lights dim. With the made in Mexico relay the contacts weld together and during the day the cluster stays dim. The relay is located to the lower right of the steering column on a rack with (6) other relays. I can't remenber which one. According to the EVTM the wire colors are: brown,white/pink, lt. blue/red, black, white/lt. blue. The relay is used all over the car so you might be able to get it at a junkyard or at Ford for about $12+. If you go to Ford they might have trouble finding it or tell you it doesn't exist. In their electrical, vacuumn, troubleshooting manual it is shown on pg 83, wiring on pg 102.
1987 Turbo Coupe, 306, Trick Flow Track Heat heads, Comp Cam, Trick Flow Pistons, Eagle Rods, Center Force clutch, T-5, 8.8 w/373 gears, and a bunch more

New guy needs HELP!!

Reply #6
Thanks Tommy,

I'll give it a try.

New guy needs HELP!!

Reply #7
these will help,,

:D

dont forget to check out my DIY link above my pic/sig
there are several years of goodies in there for just about everything you run into on these cars.

New guy needs HELP!!

Reply #10
If the two sections of dash on either side of the speedo are still lighting it ain't the relay. All of the disco dash's illumination bulbs are powered off the same relay, so if the relay was gone bad none of the lights would work.

New guy needs HELP!!

Reply #11
Thanx all, let's go over what we've got:

87 T-Bird Sport
Full Digital Dash

Tach: backlit and functioning

Speedometer and Driver info center, back light seems to be working
However, imagine a Indiglo digital watch with backlight but no digital display.

So far this is what i've done:
 All bulbs have been tested.
 Swapped out the speedo and Info center with with same from donor.

only things left from the original to switch out would be the Mylar circuit sheet (ILLumination) or switchset 6 buttons Gauge, E/M, Trip & reset and Select & Reset.

Where is the speed sensor located?????

Regards & Thanks,

Tony P

New guy needs HELP!!

Reply #12
The relay swop did'nt work!

New guy needs HELP!!

Reply #13
Ok, so you've got backlight but no display in the speedo? Illumination isn't the problem, then. About the only thing I can think of is to check the wiring at the connector to ensure you've got all the powers and grounds (jcassity's images above should show you the terminals to probe) as well as the printed circuit, as you suggested. The speed sensor is on the transmission (where the speedo cable would normally be) but that isn't your problem. If it was, your speedo would show "0" all the time and the fuel computer would show incorrect information (but it would show information).

New guy needs HELP!!

Reply #14
Does anyone have a step by step on trouble shooting the connector.

and/or the bulb mylar (green) circuit sheet????

Tony P